Scam?? Call from Egyptian number. Worried.

dubinamerica

Just noticed that there's a few missed calls on my home phone from a number I didn't recognize (00 20 899 419 54 ) .. Checked this and it's supposedly a number in Egypt. Google'd it and looks like some egyptian numbers are used as part of a scam.
Any one come across this? I'm worried now about my bank account... could someone have the details to wire money out of here ?? Our phone number is ex-directory also.

It could just be an auto-dialler slavishly working its way through all the numbers in a particulay area code...

You really have nothing to be worried about.

Forget the calls. What can they do with your bank account details? They can't simply transfer money out of it.

Your mind is working overtime.

Brendan

Brendan's right, your mind is really working overtime! It says something about how paranoid we have become (justified or not) when a unrecognised missed call on our phone has us thinking our bank accounts will be cleared out! Remember the good old days when you wouldn't evn know you missed a call, never mind see the caller's number ?!?

Relax, dubinamerica!

I think there's an immense amount of carelessness here in ireland regarding finances etc.. people not bothering to cover up their pin number when they pay for items, use ATM etc. I think it's better to be prepared and keep the eyes open but maybe I am being over cautious, but identity theft is such a real issue and people don't realize how easy it can be.. having lived in the states for a few years, this is really hammered home, both in work and just in day to day life.. we had no friends holidaying in egypt and getting multiple calls (and no messages) from an unknown phone number is definitely worrying. I checked this on line and apparently there are well known scams involving phone number emanating (or appearing to ) from egypt .. Think I'm paranoid.. but there are people out to get us !! : )

I even have a paper shredder to shred all my address details, Clubcard details, invoices etc before I put them in my green bin. Crazy.

I even have a paper shredder to shred all my address details, Clubcard details, invoices etc before I put them in my green bin. Crazy.

Not crazy. We shred anything with personal details on before binning, including, envelopes, junk mail, any unwanted internet printouts, emails, supermarket receipts etc. Think it was €29.99 at Tesco for the shredder. At work (accountant) I shred any waste items, working papers etc. at time of use ( shredder next to desk) even if no client identification on it.

The day that North African scammers resort to stealing Tesco Clubcard points will be a sad one for everybody. Including all self respecting scammers.

All my posts self destruct 5 minutes after posting for security reasons.

The day that North African scammers resort to stealing Tesco Clubcard points will be a sad one for everybody. Including all self respecting scammers.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-444669/Obsessed-PC-ran-75-000-points-using-Tesco-clubcard-scam.html - 62k

:)

Back