Say I have a claim for 3k on my car insurance can I pay that back to insurer when my premium is renewed?

NOAH

As per the title, a case like described has been quoted to me but it baffled me. I know very little about car insurance but I have got no claims protection in that ina ny period of 1 or two years I can claim and my NCD wont be affected. Is it feasible then that if I did not have NCD and my premium was to increase a lot could I pay back the amount paid out and keep premium as low as possible?

I don't know about one claim but several years ago I had the misfortune after 20 years claims free to have two small claims within six weeks - sickening - but the company said one could be paid back prior to the renewal date and they would only carry forward one claim, keeping 2 years ncb. I duely paid the cheaper of the two a month before the renewal date but when the renewal notice came out it was for 0 ncb as it turned out they had misallocated the money. The premium had increased by 2.5x. This issue was corrected and a quote with a 2 year ncb came out but the decrease was less than €80 year and the accident amount was significantly higher. In the end I got them to refund the accident money as the policy difference was negligible - it did mean I was tied to them for three years but to be honest I’m not sure paying it would have made a material difference as even moving this year the premium is still quite high.

Last edited:
As per the title, a case like described has been quoted to me but it baffled me. I know very little about car insurance but I have got no claims protection in that ina ny period of 1 or two years I can claim and my NCD wont be affected. Is it feasible then that if I did not have NCD and my premium was to increase a lot could I pay back the amount paid out and keep premium as low as possible?
Before reneawal, yes.

No, you should pay the claim yourself and not involve the insurance if that’s an option

Back