Savings in the post SSIA world

I liked Dempsey's idea of a type of bond that would be used for Capital Investment in Schools and Infrastructure.
No offense but this was one of the more financially naive schemes proposed by a polititian. It suggests that difficulties in raising finance is the reason why our infrastructure and school stock is poor. In fact, the one thing the government can do much more efficiently than any individual or private company is raise money. Currently Irish government bonds pay little over the ECB rate; if the government needed 2billion for schools/infrastructure they could raise the money at rates of about 2.5% fixed for longish term loans. A rate of 2.5% on a fixed term savings product is poor value for the saver (at current inflation rates) while anything higher than 2.5% is poor value for government finances (i.e. all of us). Add in the cost of bureaucracy and it makes no sense except as a cheap political stunt.

The problem the government has isn't raising money - it's awash with cash and can borrow more cheaper and easier than anyone. The problem is that it generally gets very poor value when it spends money. The latter isn't an Irish phenomena, by the way, but it's a lot more difficult to tackle for politicians.

Billy
I hadn't realised AIB were quoting 3%-4.5%. I've just opened with Northern Rock at 3.05% which I thought was the best available!! Is the 4.5% (or even 4%, or even 3.5%) dependent on lodging an astronomical sum??

Culchie said:
I liked Dempsey's idea of a type of bond that would be used for Capital Investment in Schools and Infrastructure.

I wouldn't mind putting my SSIA money into a project that we all benefit from as an economy .... roads being an obvious one.

We motorists pay about €4.4 Billion per annum to the government in taxes.

I think this is sufficient.

p.s. We still have crap roads.

Back