SatNav...worthwhile ?

I am thinking of buying one as a present for a friend who currently lives in Italy. Are there models which are better than others for mainland Europe roads (particularly Italy)?

Whether the system has European maps depends on the specification.
Most display 3D street level maps of the UK and Europe. Mapping data is pre-installed on a memory card or is stores via the product hard drive – and you have to check individual models for details. As Leo said above, the user purchases any necessary map updates for a few quid via the web or on CD.

Yes, I would Definetly recommend buying a Sat Nav. I purchased a Tom Tom about 6 months ago..(Tom Tom XL Europe), simply because I was living in mainland Europe at the time. I found it an incredible advantage not only to finding your way easily to your destination but as a previous person stated, a HUGE safety benefit. Not only do you no longer need to look at a map, but you can almost totally forget about needing to look out for road signs and just concentrate solely on other road users whilst listening to spoken instructions.

I found that especially beneficial at night or in poor visibility/heavy rain, when it's difficult to see some road signs.

As for not necessarily needing a Sat Nav system whilst travelling on a regular road journey that you are familiar with, they are indispensible if you need to take a side road etc, due to roadworks etc, immediately recalculating your route, and advising you of the next turn you need to make.

Prior to purchasing the Tom Tom, I had used a friend's MICHELIN system, which whilst good, it seemed to be about 4 or 5 seconds behind where you actually were, so as you approached a motorway turn-off that you are meant to take, it sometimes gave the turn off instruction a little late in my opinion. The Tom Tom does not suffer from that "Delay".

Finally, I'd also recommend spending the extra few Euro on the European version, simply because you can bring it with you on holidays to Europe , put it the hire car , and not worry about trying to find your hotel etc etc.

For my tuppence worth, I think Irelands roads are still being developed so it's too early to get the Sat Nav, maybe in a few years.

Two examples of Sat Nav getting it wrong.

1. Car coming from Cork to Bunratty, turns onto the Limerick Bypass, road not on software, the driver eventually ends up near the ferrybridge on the N69 (Coast Road) flags me down looking for directions.

2. Car travelling Limeirck to Sligo, Sat Nav guides the driver into Galway rather than turning for Tuam/Claregalway at one of the roundabouts near Oranmore.

This was some back so the software may have improved but you can't beat a good map and the excellent roadsigns on Irish roads.

I don't understand how this can happen. There are myths of this kind but its difficult to believe given that these systems are directed via satellite in real time. My Garmin Nuvi recognises within a few seconds if - to take an example - I don't follow the instruction to "take the next left". It delivers a bell-like warning tone followed by the voice-announcment " Recalculating! Recalculating". The following verbal instructions reroute you back onto the best route from wherever you are.

If a driver using a SatNav system is in a vehicle adjacent to a ferry-bridge on the N69 wishes to travel to Bunratty if the system is working properly surely all s(he) had to do is key in "Bunratty".

I don't understand how this can happen. There are myths of this kind but its difficult to believe given that these systems are directed via satellite in real time. My Garmin Nuvi recognises within a few seconds if - to take an example - I don't follow the instruction to "take the next left". It delivers a bell-like warning tone followed by the voice-announcment " Recalculating! Recalculating". The following verbal instructions reroute you back onto the best route from wherever you are.

If a driver using a SatNav system is in a vehicle adjacent to a ferry-bridge on the N69 wishes to travel to Bunratty if the system is working properly surely all s(he) had to do is key in "Bunratty".

I can assure you the 1st one isn't a myth as I met a very distressed driver on the N69 and he was totally lost, I asked him how he got to where he was and he told me he was using a Sat Nav, he lost his way and came onto the N69 by using a very narrow by-road he was none too pleased.

The 2nd example was where a group of lads were heading off for the week-end and one car took longer and the only reason was the route planned by the Sat Nav.

Back