Sat Nav advice

Pique318

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a portable Sat-Nav unit for use mainly in the car.

Can anyone recommend the best mid-range unit with EU maps. I would like one with an SD slot too, and personalisation would be nice.

Would like to stick with the likes of TomTom, Garmin etc...

Any help would be appreciated.

Have had Garmin Nuvi 250 for over a year with Europe as standard and found to be excellent all over the continent. Bought SD card with USA 08 for recent US road trip-excellent! They've recently gone sub-€200.

Navteq maps (in Garmin) are supposed to be better than Tele Atlas maps (Tom Tom) for Ireland. There's not supposed to be much difference for the rest of Europe though.

But that's just something I've heard, and can't verify.

Wow...well there's a consensus !!

Garmin Nuvi 250 it is then !!

Thanks all

Edit: €179 in Pixmania !!

Last edited:
Well having looked a bit more into it, I've got some additional criteria.

I would like Bluetooth connectivity for hands free.
Europe maps also, as they cost a fortune to buy after the initial purchase.
Text to speech would be nice, as would MP3.

Having looked into it a bit more, it looks like a Garmin 760 or a TomTom 720.

I had a Tomtom 760 [til it was stolen] and I found its pronunciation of Irish placenames difficult to make out. I replaced it with a Garmin.

For anyone who can access a UK delivery address, Amazon.co.uk are offering the Garmin Nuvi 250 with European mapping for £89 (inc free delivery) at the moment.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Nuvi 250 & the Nuvi 255...the 255 mentions "TMC Premium (lifetime subscription)".
Does this mean you get updated maps or is it to do with traffic?
Will the system recognis the new M50 changes (whenever they finally finish?)

The system will have the new M50 updates on it's map updates. Whatever you do go for a Garmin, streets ahead of other products.

Got the Garmin 760 for stg. £249.99 stg in Halfords in North couple of months ago. Probably cheaper now. All bells and whistles included. A number of bypasses, open a year ago, not on the maps even though supposed to be 2008.

Also, getting 'Acquiring Satelitte' message for long periods and signal disappears. Normally have it at gearstick. Maybe this is the problem but don't want to mount it. Not 100% happy with it.

I bought a Garmin 255W Nuvi last week and just set it up now but the little voice was talkin in miles to me? Is there anyway to change to kilometres? Thanks

A Garmin 370 3.5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator with Bluetooth, Text-to-Speech, North American & European Maps for $269.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. (187.108 EUR. )

Doubt they ship to Ireland so you will have to get it sent to someone in the US and they can send it on to you.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000MF7L5A

Murt

Navteq maps (in Garmin) are supposed to be better than Tele Atlas maps (Tom Tom) for Ireland. There's not supposed to be much difference for the rest of Europe though.

But that's just something I've heard, and can't verify.

On a recent trip to deepest West Cork, I tried out a friend's Sat Nav using Tom Tom, and my own Nokia N95 Maps (Navteq). For the major roads, not much difference (some new motorways/bypasses are still not in, though) .

On the smaller by roads, the Navteq beat TomTom hands down - many very minor roads were perfectly mapped.

When I buy my own SatNav, it'll use the Navteq maps.

- eD

Got a tomtom 730 a few weeks ago. What a great yolk, even the wifr was able to use it. Bluetooth, MP3. photos, etc. have had fun with it & works a treat.

Go to halfords and get a demo of garmin & tomtom, see whioch one you like best. in truth, i suspect there is not a lot in it in terms of which is the best satnav, but the look & feel can be quite different. I did this & picked the TT.

I bought a Garmin 255W Nuvi last week and just set it up now but the little voice was talkin in miles to me? Is there anyway to change to kilometres? Thanks

There is a way - go to "tools" and "settings" and there should be something there that allows you to do it. (Sorry I can't be more specific - I don't have one to hand right now, but I have used them in the past)

Celtwytch your a star! Went to settings and systems and there I could select kilometers no problem! Thanks so much- was afraid I was stuck with the old miles again!