Ryanair or Aer Lingus to Barcelona

T

Timbo

Checking flights to Barcelona with Aer Lingus and Ryanair. On the dates that I have chosen Ryanair are €32 cheaper but they fly to Girona. Is Girona airport far from Barcelona and is it worth the hassle?

comparing airline deals

Hi - I can't advise on Girona as I'm not familiar with that part of Spain but when comparing deals between a "no-frills" carrier and a national airline you need to establish if (a) the budget airline restricts luggage to one carry-on piece only (in which case the excess baggage charges may wipe out your savings and (b) investigate the budget airline's regulations on you requiring to reschedule (these can be very high).

Flights to barcelona

Thanks Marie and sueellen. I have decided to book with Aer Lingus. Sueellen the links are excellent.

If you do happen to find yourself driving from 'unknown' A to B on the continent, I'd recommend using www.mappy.com for useful maps and print-friendly driving itineraries.

I just wish they wouldn't refer to us as 'Eire'... ;)

P.S. Incidentally, our overseas readers may be interested to know that
(a) it is in fact only 190km to Tipperary (from Dublin airport)
(b) you can expect to complete the journey in 2h20mins and use €16.50 worth of our finest Irish petrol.

On the other hand, it is indeed a long way to Tipperary from Barcelona:

Both images (C) www.mappy.com

If you are going ot Barcelona city (especially if just for a relatively short period of time) do not use Reus or Girona airport .. they are not at all close and have poor transport links

Barcelona's main airport (somewhat amusing called El Prat) is really quite close to town and has a decent train service into town (cheap taxis too) and is really the only (sane) choice if you're going to the city.

Reus and Girona are ideal for visiting the costas to the North (Girona) and the South (Reus) of Barcelona... ... but for a city break to Barcelona itself it's not really worth the grief unless there's a huge price difference and even then .... would you you fly to Birmingham if you wanted to go to London for the weekend ?

Re: Flights to barcelona

I flew out of Girona last summer, it was fine, €9 for a single bus journey and it took about an hour. They are VERY strict on the baggage allowance though, 15kg max and €7 extra per kg over.

a bit of hassle, not much

Similarly, I flew to Reus last week, for Barcelona.

The flight was full of young Irish going to Barcelona.

Aer Lingus were 275 for the same dates, Ryanair were 88 euro.

There is a direct bus to the city from Reus airport, I think 18 euro return, takes 1:20 mins.

I took the local bus to Reus railway staion and the train to Barcelona. 2.00+5.85 one way. Yes, a bit more hassle.

Overall, 2.5hrs from the baggage carosel to the centre of Barcelona.

Back