Ryanair increase in charges

From the 20th September 2007, all passengers making new reservations on Ryanair.com will have the option to select the free web check-in and priority boarding service. Passengers who wish to travel with checked baggage will be subject to a small fee to reflect the cost of airport check in desk facilities.

Think this highlights the charge

but they are going to remove the 3 € charge for priorty boarding once this charge comes into affect so for people like me who use it that way I'm saving money ;)
This was always optional although the way they have it included as default, removing it is not intuitive.

GeneralZod said:
Slightly less time standing in a queue. One can sit down and then barge past the non priority people standing in a queue when they start boarding.
When you get on the plane you can see where the kids are sitting and sit as far as possible away from them.
Get a seat in front of the engine which is a bit quieter.
Well my philosophy now is to stay sitting until everyone else is on - that way no standing/queueing. Don't see too much difference in seating and theres no guarantee you wont end up beside a howling snapper.

I always travel with no check in luggage but choose to pay priority boarding so that I can sit at the front of the plane. I would be happy to pay a fee to choose the seat that I sit in. It now appears that there is no longer any priority boarding, because everyone gets priority boarding who check in on line from now on.

I have booked a number of flights up until next March and paid priority boarding it appears that this has been a waste of money.

It would be nice if we could print off our check n'go for our return journey before we leave on the outward journey.

Well my philosophy now is to stay sitting until everyone else is on - that way no standing/queueing. Don't see too much difference in seating and theres no guarantee you wont end up beside a howling snapper.

It's good that you feel that way as the priority system wouldn't work without people with your view of it.

Usually they let the people at the front of the plane off first. There's no clambering over someone else to get a seat or not finding stowage space above one's seat.

Usually they let the people at the front of the plane off first. There's no clambering over someone else to get a seat or not finding stowage space above one's seat.
Ok, now on this I do agree - i do find this terribly annoying. How the hell people cant get in to their seat and out of the bloody thing without so much shuffling around I will never understand.
However, on my last flight, I was last in and first out - so theres no consistency.

and the next question is how are they proposing to charge for it? at time of booking hopefully. But if MOL is really really trying to reduce the queues at check in then he should make it as difficult as possible to pay this charge. Otherwise it might be seen for what it really is. An additional charge. Easier really to increase the baggage charge but thats ammunition he can use at a later date anyway. Passengers with overweight bags are sent to a different location to pay for the excess weight. This isn't too bad in Dublin where Ryanair have a desk but at other airports it might not be so easy. Might sound like I am knocking RY but I have flown twice this year with them -Fuerteventura and Faro and on both occasions it did what it says on the tin. Excellent value for money as on both occasions I was able to avail of very reasonable prices. It's the constant adding on thats irritating. so the €39.99 flight to Faro winds up at nearer €65. and not all the charges are outside of Ryanairs control as they might lead some to believe.
This might be another way around that EU recommendation that they price they quote should include all the charges. Ryanair quote a 'full' price and then YOU add to cost by chosing 'luxury' extras. Like queueing for check in.

It's the constant adding on thats irritating. so the €39.99 flight to Faro winds up at nearer €65.

That's what bugs me. I'm all for transparency in pricing and I like to know what I'm paying for, but the price you're quoted should be what you expect to pay. Imagine going into a shop for a tin of beans and after paying what's on the price tag the shopkeeper says, "and now you must pay an extra 3 euro to go towards my shop lease".

I wonder if MOL would still claim that it speeds up check-in if passengers start protesting by paying in all coppers, or if the check-in desks run out of change if many passengers pay with large notes.

Back