Ryanair increase in charges

Galway99

Ryanair are starting to charge people €3 to check in!!!

This really is an extra baggage charge of €3 as this fee can only be avoided if you check in online. However the catch is that if you have check in luggage you can't checkin online!!!

Below is how Ryanair have put the spin on it
[SIZE=+1]RYANAIR MAKES WEB CHECK-IN FREE TO REDUCE AIRPORT QUEUES

[/SIZE]
  • Web Check-in/Priority Boarding service entirely free
  • Airport check-in desk service charged at £2/€3 per person
  • All other passengers can purchase priority boarding online
Ryanair, Europe’s largest international airline, today (Friday, 24th August 2007) announced new incentives to encourage passengers to use Ryanair’s “Check’N’Go” web check in service, while at the same time discouraging passengers from checking in bags or using airport check in queues. Ryanair’s web check-in service will be entirely free and enables passengers travelling with only hand luggage to avoid airport check-in and go straight through security, cutting out the queues and overcrowding which are now commonplace at many airports.
With effect for new bookings made from Thursday, 20th September onwards:
  • Web check-in will be free for passengers travelling with hand luggage only* and will also include free priority boarding at the departure gate.
  • Passengers who do not avail of free web check-in will be charged £2/€3 for using airport check in facilities
  • **Priority boarding will be made available for purchase online as well as through the existing sales points - call centres and airports for a fee of £2/€3 per person
Announcing these new incentives for passengers, Ryanair’s Peter Sherrard said:
“Ryanair’s web check in and priority boarding service has proven very popular among passengers by freeing them from check-in queues and departure gate queues. However clearly charging for this service has acted as a disincentive. We expect that providing this service free of charge (with Ryanair’s generous hand baggage allowance of 10 kilos) will significantly increase usage. From the 20th September 2007, all passengers making new reservations on Ryanair.com will have the option to select the free web check-in and priority boarding service. Passengers who wish to travel with checked baggage will be subject to a small fee to reflect the cost of airport check in desk facilities.
“Also from that date all passengers not using our web check service will be able to purchase our **priority boarding service on Ryanair.com as well as the existing call centre and airport ticket desks. This will make it much easier for passengers, particularly those travelling with families, to purchase our priority boarding service. These new measures will, we believe, encourage more and more passengers to travel without checked in baggage and use Ryanair’s free web check-in and priority boarding service. These passengers will do so entirely free of charge, whilst avoiding the check in queues and being among the first to choose their seats onboard. Our web check-in/priority boarding service is undoubtedly the way forward, and with Ryanair’s combination of lowest fares, more flights, best punctuality and now, free of charge web check in and priority boarding, passengers have never had a better deal on Ryanair, the world’s favourite airline”.
*Certain passenger restrictions apply see online check in website for details
** Passengers with special needs who have pre-advised Ryanair of their condition are not required to purchase priority boarding as seats will already be reserved onboard and they will be boarded after general boarding has been completed.

How do you mean "so what?". I've just posted to the forum to let people know that this has been announced. It is a new term and condition. I'm sure its of interest to people. Its a bit harsh to critise my post for just posting a fact.

Your use of multiple exclamation marks and the terms "catch" and "spin" suggested that you were making some value judgement on the matter rather than simply drawing people's attention to it.

Hope it doesn't encourage too many people using on-line check-in to get priority boarding. That's well worth it to avoid the worst of the scrum to get on-board. Flying back from Stansted recently the priority queue itself was too large. If they had a priority-priority queue I'd pay for it.

Hope it doesn't encourage too many people using on-line check-in to get priority boarding. That's well worth it to avoid the worst of the scrum to get on-board. Flying back from Stansted recently the priority queue itself was too large. If they had a priority-priority queue I'd pay for it.
Can't see much value in this myself. At the end of the day the bus can't takeoff 'till everyones on the bloody thing.

Can't see much value in this myself. At the end of the day the bus can't takeoff 'till everyones on the bloody thing.

The advantages that I see in it are:

Slightly less time standing in a queue. One can sit down and then barge past the non priority people standing in a queue when they start boarding.

When you get on the plane you can see where the kids are sitting and sit as far as possible away from them.

Get a seat in front of the engine which is a bit quieter.

I think when a business that tirelessly promotes itself on low prices puts its' prices up,( and let's face it,for many, that what this amounts to), it's reasonable to portray this in a negative light.
Just because you can shop elsewhere shouldn't preclude you from expressing dissatisfaction with a supplier.

Well, considering that Ryanair already charges a fee for every piece of checked luggage, adding another charge for having check-in luggage seems a bit unreasonable.

Well, considering that Ryanair already charges a fee for every piece of checked luggage, adding another charge for having check-in luggage seems a bit unreasonable.
That really depends on whether their total price come out better than the alternatives in specific situations or in general.

From my reading of the situation a family of 4 on the same reservation who have one check in bag between them previously had to pay a €12 baggage charge for a return flight.
Now they will have to pay €36 baggage and checkin charge. (resisted the temptation to add an "!")

So its probably advisable to split your booking into 2. 1 person with the checkin bag and remaining people on a seperate booking so they can checkin online.

I'd use ryanair for weekend breaks to the UK and that, i always just bring a back pack (I know for longer breaks/kids etc mightn't be that easy) but they are going to remove the 3 € charge for priorty boarding once this charge comes into affect so for people like me who use it that way I'm saving money ;)

I'd use ryanair for weekend breaks to the UK and that, i always just bring a back pack (I know for longer breaks/kids etc mightn't be that easy) but they are going to remove the 3 € charge for priorty boarding once this charge comes into affect so for people like me who use it that way I'm saving money ;)

In the same boat, great news to be honest.

just back from Faro and from that airport anyway the PB is not alone a waste of money - it's a penalty kick for the non PB's. When boarding commenced the two ( easy jet colours :) )staff allocated to calling passangers forward clearly called forward in this order 1) families with small children b) anyone with a PB yellow sticker. Those people boarded the bus first. Then we were all let board. bus goes to the aircraft and who was off first? The last to board the bus. which was us the non PB's. My main gripe with this latest charge is the fact that if you have luggage to check ( weight/liquid or whatever) you cannot check in online. So basically its a charge on anyone with a suitcase who needs to check it in . This will be mostly families and people travelling on holidays. and on travellers who won't have access to a computer for the return journey. and on older people ( just waiting for CM to ask how I make this claim).

I think it's a positive step forward too. Aerlingus will also probably start doing this too.

What would really be a good idea is to get rid of those stupid '200ml hair gel' rules. Those are really pointless, although maybe whoever makes up these rules are in cohoots with nail-scissors manufacturers.

This will be mostly families and people travelling on holidays. and on travellers who won't have access to a computer for the return journey. and on older people ( just waiting for CM to ask how I make this claim)

Most airports have computer terminals, as do most hotels.
I don't think a person's age has anything to do with it. Young people may shun the internet and older people may embrace it. (and I not even Clubman :D)

Most airports have computer terminals, as do most hotels.

Yes but you need a computer with a printer. Its difficult to find one of them free to the public in an airport and if you did you'd have to be a the airport more than 4 hours before your flight to check in.

im not 100% sure you have to pay the check in charge if you pay the baggae fee. I could be wrong

Back