Ryanair give any leeway if check in bag slightly overweight?

Passport1

Do Ryanair give any leeway on checked in bag being over the 10kg or 20kg limit?
Say if bag is 10.5Kg or 11kg weight will they still charge u as overweight bag or do they give any leeway ?

It's always possible, but you'll be flying one wing and a prayer.
If you choose to chance it, do so bring prepared to pay whatever their charge is if it comes to it.

Do Ryanair give any leeway on checked in bag being over the 10kg or 20kg limit?
Say if bag is 10.5Kg or 11kg weight will they still charge u as overweight bag or do they give any leeway ?
If possible, consider dumping or carrying on your person any particularly heavy items you have in your checked in bag.

I'm a bit Patrician when travelling abroad on sunholidays - It costs €50 for each of us to bring a carry-on bag and book seats - That#s €200 round trip. You can buy a lot of clothes for that €200 - Now we bring backpacks and so what if we're not sitting alongside each other - we're €200 better off.

That's the way we travel also most of the time especially on short trips. Even if we book seats we book aisle seats beside each other, only if the price of the flight is good though.

Last edited:
I think it depends on the Airports system

A few times have been slightly over.

one time was .5kg over and nothing was say other time it was .1kg over and check staff tapped the bag hitting the enter key to temporary go under 20Kg to issue the sticker.
Once we were over by 1kg and their going to charge had to rejig out suits cases and put all heavy iteam in our pockets/carry on to bring it unter 20Kg

So it potluck who you get and think the computer can say "no" as well

I find a big smile and a lovely hello how are you to the person behind the desk works wonders in these cases.

We've used enough airports and flights since the reintroduction of foreign travel due to Covid. Mrs Lep always wanted us to use Aer Lingus and only Ryanair if absolutely necessary. We may have paid a few bob more for our Aer Lingus flights (but not always). I have no truck with Aer Lingus, but Ryanair has tried my patience on a number of occasions (nitty gritty rules, rude cabin crew, overloud cabin crew advertising scratch cards etc). I've seen passengers empty their carry-on bags and at the boarding area put on five or six tee-shirts, two jumpers and more stuff just to reduce the weight of the case. Like 'em or hate 'em this is what Ryanair does to increase its profits.

Here are some of my money saving tips if using Ryanair:-
1. Book your flights as far in advance as possible - I have figured out flights can be reduced in price on Tuesdays after midday for an hour or two.
2. Watch for flash sales (although this doesn't guarantee cheaper flights from the price of the day before, but some do).
3. Sometimes Ryanair advertises reduced fares to particular destinations. Just gauge prices (+add-ons) and use Ryanair to your advantage.
4. Airports to/from are also relevant issues. Car Parking, Taxi Costs, Times of Flights, Petrol Costs, Transfer Prices can lead to paying more. But, most people just book and go headlong into additional costs, but think these costs are per person.
5. You can bring a handy sized backpack on board at no extra cost. It must be stored underneath the seat in front of yours. Any man will have enough space for change of clothes - Saving €50 per person per flight out and another €50 per person on return flight.
6. If you enjoy a glass of wine or a drop of spirits during your flight. You can buy the small bottles of wine at the departing airport much cheaper than you would on board. You are entitled to put whiskey/vodka/gin etc in small sized see-through bottles (100ml) which will not be challenged by airport security and you're breaking no laws - bring a plastic tumbler in your luggage. Soft drink can be bought in airport beforehand.
7. Wear a coat/jacket with plenty of pockets and place any "overweight" items within. You are not going to be frisked.
8. Bring your own sandwiches and snack food and be mindful there may be people with nut allergies on board.
9. Book for holidays outside mid-July to mid-August where accommodation and flights are likely much cheaper.
10. Like the previous poster indicated just smile and likely you'll not be challenged.

And if you don't wish to do any of the above, that's OK too, but you'll be paying more than me. Use what you save for another holiday after you return.

Last edited:
Thanks all for repliles n suggestions n recommendations...great tips n tricks. Thanks all n safe n enjoyable summer travels to u all.

Back