Ryanair checks you out if you try to change a flight for which you have already checked in.

If someone is considering changing flights via a phone app, it would be easy to miss these warnings. There are so many pop-ups that it's easy to just x them out of the way.

It would never have occurred to me that by seeing if there was an option to change flights, that I would be unchecking myself.

Other than to generate income, is there any operational reason for this?

If I check to see if I can change my flights, and subsequently do change my flight, why can't they check me out then?

Brendan
That's what used to happen. I think this started because at one stage you could not change your flight if you had checked in. And now you can. Also at one time you couldn't check in so far in advance. One of my children, who I have warned about booking a seat booked a flight to Dublin yesterday and didn't book a seat. To save money ! They can only check in 24 hours before. And told me they always get an aisle seat by checking in late.

I did the changes outlined above on a computer. If my boredom threshold goes high I might check it out on my ipad. And you might do it on your phone in the interests of consumers of this website. Or Clubman can. He would never go wrong. LOL.

Unusually for people travelling with kids, we didn’t have checked in baggage (visiting relatives in Spain so we had all the essentials over there), so our first interaction with Ryanair, as distinct from with airport security, was at the gate.
I assume than you'd have had an issue at the check in desk. (like the article linked above)

From a security point of view I wonder how airports/security believe it's ok to let unchecked passengers all the way thru.

Last edited:
One of the children is now getting emails about the fact they didn't book a seat. (to save money, Bronte has done a good job) So I had a look, all the eight euro seats are sold. 5 are available for nine euro, and most of the seats at the front are available. Rows 1 - 10 . When I go into the booking this is what it says:

Secure your summer seat now!

If you don’t select a seat then:
  • You may be seated anywhere in the aircraft
  • You may be allocated a middle seat
  • You can only check in 24 hrs before each flight

Select a seat now

It doesn't warn you that you'll get no seat if there aren't enough !! But I have warned the child ! (Bronte is not always listened to)

Last edited:
This was in the Irish Times today.

Ryanair’s solicitor is back on his feet. This time over a claim worth €80 that has been lodged by Barry Neary.

He and his wife were due to fly to Portugal in the summer of 2022 but the day before the holiday she took ill.

The couple had already checked in but the claimant logged on to the app to see if they could reschedule. The cost was high so they decided to travel and he closed down the app.

Boarding passes
The following day, their boarding passes allowed them as far as the boarding gate where they were told that they’d been checked out of the flight so had to pay a further €80 for fresh boarding cards.

Mr Neary says he’s a frequent flyer with Ryanair and insists he had not been alerted that he would be checked out of his flight if he looked at alternative options.

The Ryanair legal representative has come armed with a thick booklet containing details of Mr Neary’s app usage on the day in question and screen grabs of a “continue” tab as well as details of the site’s Frequently Asked Questions.

“You can’t make any decision about changing flights unless you press continue and by pressing continue that unchecks you in,” the solicitor explains. “By looking for an alternative you unchecked yourself and you are told that if you do that you will have to check in again.”

This is news to the judge and claimant with the former saying, “this is very educational for me”.

The solicitor produces the Ryanair FAQs that explain that if you have already checked in try to change your flight their system automatically checks you out and you will need to check back in if you decide to proceed with the original flight.

“It is as clear as a pike staff,” the solicitor says.

“It is deceitful,” the claimant responds. “I have booked hundreds of flights and this is new to me.”

“It is new to me too,” the judge agrees but he says the case serves as a reminder for people to be clear on the terms and conditions. “I wouldn’t have known this either but I am dismissing your complaint,” he says to Mr Neary. “And I do understand how you feel.”

This is absolutely dreadful from Ryanair.
It’s a game of cat and mouse which they win. Surely getting you to the gate amounts to entrapment. Anyone elderly or with kids would fold. I would avoid booking anything with them while they treat customers like this. Too much hassle. If I were Michael O Leary I’d just increase the price of the flights rather than put customers through this sort of stress. Have they no conscience ?

Back