Ryanair checks you out if you try to change a flight for which you have already checked in.

INYWIFNW

I’m just back from Spain with my family and had an “interesting” experience on the flight home with Ryanair. I wonder if anyone has ever come across similar.

I checked in for both the outbound and return flights before leaving Dublin. I saved the electronic boarding passes to my Apple wallet and even printed them to have hard copies just in case.

Nearing the end of our holiday, my wife and I considered extending the holiday. I went into the Ryanair app, followed the instructions to change flights, looked at the options we were presented with, and ultimately decided against it. I closed the app and thought no more of it.

We turned up to the airport today and used our boarding passes to go through security. At the gate, however, we were refused boarding, on the basis that (unbeknownst to me), we had been checked out when we had clicked through the change flights option, notwithstanding that we didn’t actually change the flights. I opened my Ryanair app and it was still showing us as checked in.

I politely but firmly argued my case with the Ryanair person at the gate, and showed him the app showing us as checked in, but I got nowhere. He was able to show me on his screen some sort of internal record of us being checked out for the flight, and also showed me a “check in” option on the app which I had paid no attention to given that we were already checked in according to the app. He said it would cost us €30 per person for him to check us in at the gate. I refused after arguing for ages, but ultimately he was perfectly willing to close the flight and let it leave without us, so with my wife and 2 young kids in tow, I had no choice but to pay it.

I wonder has anyone ever heard of something like this happening? It sounds like a flaw with the Ryanair system. I have absolutely zero expectation of getting anywhere with a complaint to Ryanair, but I will raise one nonetheless.

Just to add that I have flown Ryanair for years without any issues whatsoever, and will fly with them again.

I am already checked in for my flights. Can I still change them?
Yes. Go to ‘My Bookings’ on our website or mobile App and select the flight you want to change. Please be aware that our system automatically checks you out even if you do not complete the change. If you are checked in and go to ‘My Bookings’ to look for alternative flights but without completing the change, you will need to check in again before you travel.

You're not the first person to experience this recently.
If this is accurate, then it's difficult to see that they have cause for complaint?
A spokesperson for Ryanair told the BBC: "[The family] unchecked themselves on the website on 22 July and ignored the pop-up that warned them they would have to check in again and generate new boarding passes.

Following this I'm testing it as I had to do a booking.

- Booking made
- checked in on line (it's in October)
- got boarding passes
- went to My bookings
- on left go to :
Change your flight
Change your flight date, time and even destination, up to 2.5 hours pre-departure (subject to availability).
Change flight

- hit change your flight box

No warnings so far. No pop ups.

- I hit both flights
YES there is a warning, but you would not notice it as you would be looking at the flight options. This is the warning:

Our system automatically cancels check-ins after the flight selection is made. If you select a flight, you will be unchecked-in and you will need to check-in again for your original flight or any new flights you might change to.

So far I didn't select anything. But I browed the options, and then there was a pop up

Check-in for your original flight is no longer valid
You will need to check-in again for your original flight or any new flight you might change to_Okay

I'm pretty fast on Ryanair and did it slow for this. I would not have seen the pop up

The OKAY button, I did not hit. Which is to acknowledge you've seen the pop up. But the pop up just disappeared.

I have not changed my flights, I have not said I'll pay a change fee etc. I will check in again now, and do the same exercise.

But it does say here is you new flights, and how much it would cost. I see in my basket there is a €17 cost, only noticed as I'm doing execise, in normal life I'd just have left the website and thought no more of it.

Step 2

I've gone back to My Bookings.

And it says 'start check in'

There is a pop up here too (this is new)

You are no longer checked-in
As you have changed your flight, your original boarding pass(es) are no longer valid. You will need to check-in again for your new flight(s).

Okay, got it

And I've changed nothing nor paid anything.

I'm pretty fast on Ryanair and did it slow for this. I would not have seen the pop up
Isn't that your issue so? You probably need to slow down and read the information presented at each step so that you don't miss key notifications?

Hilarious. I checked in again.

So now I'll do the whole thing again. This time I went further. Which requires you to hit 'confirm changes', which I won't be doing. It should not cancel your check in until you have confirmed the new flights. This time the first pop up came, but not the second one.

If you go to My bookings, and click the booking, there is a pop up to tell you that you are not checked in. But you'd have zero reason to go there if you had checked in.

Isn't that your issue so? You probably need to slow down and read the information presented at each step so that you don't miss key notifications?
Yep, it's my fault Ryanair have changed something. There is absolutely NO REASON to uncheck passengers who haven't changed a flight. But there is a reason to do so if you can get enough people to cough up €40 at the desk. And isn't it amazing how the boarding pass is not valid. Yet it is valid to get all the way to the gate. Not for a minute do I believe someone in Ryanair looked at their systems to put in this new 'trick'.

Same as it's deliberate that I and others cannot do our EU261 claim directly on their website.

We turned up to the airport today and used our boarding passes to go through security. At the gate, however, we were refused boarding, on the basis that (unbeknownst to me), we had been checked out when we had clicked through the change flights option, notwithstanding that we didn’t actually change the flights. I opened my Ryanair app and it was still showing us as checked in.
So anyone with an invalid boarding pass can get all the way to the gate. Stupid me would have thought you had to have a valid boarding pass to do that.

Did you have checked in baggage?

At best, it's really poor user interface design. Besides the fact that as Bronte said there's no reason to uncheck you when you haven't made any changes, important pop ups should necessitate a physical acknowledgement (i.e. a button click) before they disappear.

And it should also be obvious on the app when you go to check your boarding pass that you're no longer checked in.

It is poor design and very poor customer experience.

They could easily send you an automatic email advising you that you have been checked out but they have chosen not to.

It’s always been the case that when you’re booking Ryanair, you need a clear head and the concentration of a bomb disposal expert. There are a number of potential pitfalls that need to be carefully avoided.

It’s the flip side of buying an airfare for less than the price of the taxi that brought you to the airport.

If someone is considering changing flights via a phone app, it would be easy to miss these warnings. There are so many pop-ups that it's easy to just x them out of the way.

It would never have occurred to me that by seeing if there was an option to change flights, that I would be unchecking myself.

Other than to generate income, is there any operational reason for this?

If I check to see if I can change my flights, and subsequently do change my flight, why can't they check me out then?

Brendan

So anyone with an invalid boarding pass can get all the way to the gate. Stupid me would have thought you had to have a valid boarding pass to do that.

Did you have checked in baggage?
Unusually for people travelling with kids, we didn’t have checked in baggage (visiting relatives in Spain so we had all the essentials over there), so our first interaction with Ryanair, as distinct from with airport security, was at the gate.

It’s always been the case that when you’re booking Ryanair, you need a clear head and the concentration of a bomb disposal expert. There are a number of potential pitfalls that need to be carefully avoided.

It’s the flip side of buying an airfare for less than the price of the taxi that brought you to the airport.
Exactly. Which is why it's good to have on here to figure it out when Ryanair changes their 'rules'.

Back