Ryan Turbidy on the Late Late Show

Bronte

I've seen him for the first time on the Late Late over Xmas with the President. Can someone explain to me how someone so bad at presenting can get the biggest gig in Ireland? And there was me through the years thinking Kenny was bad. Is there no one with some talent in RTE for the job? Is it just me? I cannot believe how atrocious the show was.

Another here who isn't a fan of Turbidy. Never saw any talent in him at all.

Perhaps it just goes to show how little talented presenters there are around these days.

He's awful generally IMO. Can't comment on LLS as I deliberately haven't watched it. I think he's like a cringeworthy 5th rate version of the already irritating US talk show hosts he tries to emulate.

I didn't like Kenny either but he at least had talent when it came to serious discussions. He was terrible at the light hearted stuff though.

would agree with all the above, I always liked his show on 2FM...he hasn't made the transition to tv all that well

Just shows the limited thinking of RTE, dont try to get an outsider to shake things up. They love saying that the LLS is the longest running chat show in the world. They would be much better moth balling the show and getting fresh talent for a new show with a new format.
Although the chances of that is ................

Guys,

I have to say that when I first saw him on TV he was presenting the Rose of Tralee.
I thought he had won the compère of that show in a competition, he seemed so terrible.
I have since watched several Tubridy Tonight shows and his current incarnation the Late Late Show host.

I should say I am old enough to remember Gaybo before he became Greybo and cringed with audiences when Kenny took over, a post I am convinced he only got into in his last three shows BTW.

Tubridy for my money takes a long time to grow on people, but his quirky wit and ugly looks disarm guests, which he then proceeds to unpeel using excellent research material.

There is none of the almost embarrassing ingratiation of a Kenny, nor the patronising of a Gay Byrne, just an ugly guy doing a difficult job and making it look easy.

Like Byrne, he doesn't gel with everyone, but he does so more often than not, and brings an unusual feel to his interviews - less ingratiating, more irritating, which tends to throw the guests off guard until they see the glint in his eye and then he has them.

Watch three consecutive shows is my advice and see how you feel then.

ONQ.

Turgidy has absolutely no come back to smart guests.He slavishly
follows his list of questions looking down embarrissingly to find his
next robotic question.Bob Geldof laughed at him one night for it
and Turgidy cut him off as he doesnt have the ready wit to reply.

+1. Tubridy is an intellectual lightweight who is embarrassingly awful and would be totally lost without his prompt cards. There is zero spontaneity in his interviews and he regularly throws in out of context questions because they are on a card in front of him. He set the tone with his appalling interview with Cowen and it continues weekly - it would be funny if we didn't have a licence fee ! Call this guys bluff on his salary - seriously who is going to be queuing up to employ him ?

I wouldn't agree that his research/knowledge is excellent. He's nothing to Kenny in that regard.

However, he does have a modicum of "charm and personality" which, given the otherwise absence of these traits in RTE, are often confused with talent. He's may be the best of a bad lot when it comes to contenders for the Late Late but that doesn't make him good.

The fact is that the LLS has become the Late Late Show "Lite" and he is the best RTE has for this. It's a poor move IMO as I seem to switch to J Ross the minute he comes on and that's saying something.

The more I see of him the more I like him.Script or no script,he asks the hard questions and though I may switch channels during LLS ,usually its because I'm not interested in the current guest.

Barring the fact that he comes across as fairly smug, and his awful habit of slagging off "defenceless" people (punters in the audience, kids on the toy show), he's not too bad.

He's definitely a step up from Kenny on the entertainment side. I didnt notice the rigidity re questions that people mentioned, or the cue cards, & I wouldnt have thought he had any intellectual deficit - do we really need a rocket scientist or bully (a la Paxman) doing the show?

For an "ugly" bloke he's got a smashing lass, isnt it always the way

As Ms. Merton said " What first attracted you to millionaire Paul Daniels ?

I don't see anything wrong with how he looks, certainly not ugly, I quite like how he looks in fact. But that doesn't make him a good or bad presenter/chat show host and in his case one of the worst I've seen in a long time.

Who are the alternatives to Tubridy. Maybe we should let different people be the presenter every so often so we can see if there is any genuine talent.We need an educated person with a genuine common touch and a bit of charisma and also someone who is not too differential to guests and who can engage in a bit of banter when it comes to it.I see Pat Kenny has a new more serious programme called "the front line" which suits him better.

.We need an educated person with a genuine common touch and a bit of charisma and also someone who is not too differential to guests and who can engage in a bit of banter when it comes to it..

Uncle Gaybo?

I was thinking of giving a months trial to a number of candidates.Daithi o shea,Creedon.Mark LIttle..is he still with RTE?,Miriam,c duffy,Niall toibin or any number of actors/actresses.You don`t really know who is good until you see them in action over a few shows.I am inclined to think we need a proven public performer like an actor or stand up performer.

I think that's the problem - RTE have an obsession with giving jobs to "proven performers" - most of whom these days appear to be "failed performers" from other walks of life that had a connection with RTE at some stage.

None of the "old" talent that RTE had were proven performers when they first got these gigs. Hire someone new! Or if it has to be a 'proven performer' put someone like Kevin Myers or Ian O' Doherty in the hotseat - like them or hate them at least it might make for some interesting television that didn't rely on Prompt Cards!

I caught a few minutes of Friday's show, where Tubridy brought on Ardal O'Hanlon - cringeworthy. It wasn't an interview at all, like some other so-called comedians that I've seen on the show. It was just a stand-up routine, with Tubridy feeding a few staged lines to O'Hanlon. Awful stuff...

The problem with the show isn't just the presenter - it is the tired format. Time for change.

What about Brendan Kilkenny? Guests in a cage and free face-grilled helmets for all the audience