Running a car on the continent

Eireann

Hi
I'm considering keeping a car probably in France or Germany, but do not have an address in these countries for registration, insurance, etc.

I don't want the hassle of keeping a place just for this, is anyone aware of any options for this, or any service that is available specifically for this.

It needs to be fully legal and not in a grey area legally.

Does a business address, or virtual office work for this?

Thanks

Reader question: As a non resident second-home owner, can I buy and keep a car in France for use when I visit my house?

You just need a French address that you can register the car to, which can be a second home, and then you are perfectly able to buy a car here.

You do not need to be a resident to be able to do this.

You will need to provide a valid ID and proof of the French property that the car is to be registered to. This can be, for example, the title deeds of the house, a gas or electricity bill, a recent taxe d'habitation bill, etc.

The car must be insured in France.

I don't have a fixed location for the car, I'm was planning to use it instead of hiring cars, as I much prefer my own vehicle.

It would be parked in whatever location I'm in, hotels, short-term rental, etc. Frequency of use would vary, I could use it for months at a time or not use it for months. Where I would store it would vary too.

I don't want to constantly changing address, country of registration, insurance, etc.

I'm trying to avoid purchasing a place just to register the car, I would have, property taxes, refuse charges, broadcast charges, house insurance even, etc. which is what I'm trying to avoid, the hassle of all these things. I would be in that location very little, as I prefer to mainly live in Ireland, when not on the continent.

This thread may be of interest
Thanks for thread.
In my case, I will still be Ireland based, so my driving licence is not an issue.

Although, I haven't contacted insurers, I would be starting a new insurance policy in France / Germany, which if the car is properly registered should hopefully be acceptable to the insurer. I don't know yet if that would be the case. If it wasn't I may have to get a proper address for that reason anyhow.

To the best of my knowledge you won’t be able to get French insurance without French residence.

It depends on your habits but rental is probably a better option.

To the best of my knowledge you won’t be able to get French insurance without French residence.

It depends on your habits but rental is probably a better option.
Yes, I'm pretty sure you're right. I was trying to see if there is something I'm overlooking, before going down the 2nd residence route.

Rentals are time consuming, add other problems and risks and I prefer my own vehicle.

Have you thought about just using your own car for these trips??
I know from experience Aviva will insure your car for driving on main land Europe for up to six months per insurance year
The first three months are included in your policy the next three in total would cost around €100
I sure other insurers have similar cover

It might not tick all the boxes for what you want but could be a cheaper and a less hassle alternative to owning a second car on the mainland
and you get to drive in the car you prefer all of the time!!

Have you thought about just using your own car for these trips??
I know from experience Aviva will insure your car for driving on main land Europe for up to six months per insurance year
The first three months are included in your policy the next three in total would cost around €100
I sure other insurers have similar cover

It might not tick all the boxes for what you want but could be a cheaper and a less hassle alternative to owning a second car on the mainland
and you get to drive in the car you prefer all of the time!!
Yes, I have regularly used my Irl vehicle in the past and definitely that is the easiest and cheapest overall.

I've never had any problem using it, but I prefer to have a left-hand drive vehicle. It would not be cost effective to have an Irish registered left-hand drive vehicle and there would still be insurance issues, although I wasn't aware it was possible get insurance for upto 6 months. I will look into that, thank you.

When I say car I prefer, I mean prefer to avoid the hassle, not the actual car itself.

Very good chance when you come back, after leaving it idle for long stretches, it wont start.

Why tie up your money & energy in a lump of metal that might lie idle for months at a time.
I'm experienced with battery maintenance / charging / starting, I'm sure that is not an issue.

From the capital tied-up, depreciation, 2nd insurance cost, etc. point of view, I feel this is a cost I am willing to spend to have a left-hand drive and have it there, no hassle, when I want it.

From the capital tied-up, depreciation, 2nd insurance cost, etc. point of view, I feel this is a cost I am willing to spend to have a left-hand drive and have it there, no hassle, when I want it.
And you think that securing a property or properties in France and Germany in order to have use of your own car in these counties is also worth it? Wow! :oops:
Although, I haven't contacted insurers, I would be starting a new insurance policy in France / Germany, which if the car is properly registered should hopefully be acceptable to the insurer. I don't know yet if that would be the case. If it wasn't I may have to get a proper address for that reason anyhow.

It would be France or Germany, not both. With a residence I would have less accommodation costs, I would use it more as a base. This is more likely the best option anyhow.

With this thread, I'm trying to see if there is an alternative that I'm unaware of. For example, a previous poster mentioned something constructive that I was unaware of.

Rentals are time consuming, add other problems and risks and I prefer my own vehicle.
Long term storage near most airports will be very expensive. Getting your car to and from remote storage sites will involve taxis and be far more time consuming than picking up a rental.

Rentals pose similar risks to a car you own, in some cases less as you're not on the hook for maintenance or repairs. Annual excess insurance is cheap and takes your exposure right down, and an accident in a rental won't follow you around for years like one on your own car will. Sometimes the novelty of driving different cars is nice too.

I feel this is a cost I am willing to spend to have a left-hand drive and have it there,
Driving a RHD on the continent is not a big deal. I’ve done it lots and you get used to it easily, you just have to align mirrors a bit differently and watch a different blind spot.

It means you can’t really overtake on rural roads, but you shouldn’t be doing that anyway.

Back