Rugby World Cup Japan 2019

mathepac

Not a whinge or a triumphalist post, but I have to say what a breath of fresh air yesterday's Ireland v. Samoa match and some of the after interviews were.

Before being red-carded, Bundi Aki went to the player his tackle had felled and shook his hand. His countryman, on his back being attended to by a medic, seemed accepting of his handshake/apology/ good wishes. Some of Bundi's countrymen seemed sympathetic to his dismissal and slapped his shoulder as he departed the pitch and seemed to go out of their way to contact him after the final whistle. Both Bundi and his captain, the magnificent Rory Best, seemed to make little or no protest when the ref explained the officials' views and his decision. They took the outcome with dignity - no whingeing or whining.

After the match, Samoan head coach Steve Jackson was very generous, gentlemanly and sporting in his comments and his hopes that this was not the end of Bundi's world cup participation. In the era of professionalism, sponsorship, big money and neighbours stabbing each other in the back in pursuit of more moolah, it was great to see humanity, understanding and sportsmanship to the fore.

Well done everyone. Cynics, cheats and mealy-mouthed managers please take note, what we saw was sport, rugby at its best. A special "Well done" to the magnificent Samoan players, officials and their supporters.

Bundi is from New Zealand, of Samoan descent, but I agree with the general point.

It also turns out that Japan are really good!

Reluctantly, I got caught up in the Rugby World Cup hype. Even Mrs Lep is smitten and the girls (none of them under 65) are coming over tomorrow morning to see the match on television. Now, I'm a rugby agnostic and my sparse knowledge of the game is that rugby has no rules, but has laws.

My only knowledge of rugby skills is the referee's ability to literally catch the elbow of Number 1 and 3 of the opposing players in a human phalanx and guides them to take one step forward before saying "Bind, Engage, Set" or something like that. Then sixteen 18 stone monsters of men try to push the opposition out of the ground. I get confused when one member of the phalanx appears to stand up with his upper body appearing above like that of a Nazi tank commander in the turret before the battle of Kursk.

I don't wish to appear unknowledgable in front of our visitors so can any body explain what a box kick is? What is the difference between a box kick and a Garryowen?

Yours in Friday
Lep

I don't wish to appear unknowledgable in front of our visitors so can any body explain what a box kick is? What is the difference between a box kick and a Garryowen?
A box kick is when the scrum Half (number 9) takes the ball out of a Scrum or Ruck and kind of kicks it over his head. Anyone who was behind him when he kicked it can run after it and try to catch it.
A Garryowen is when someone kicks the ball up in the air and runs after it with the intention (or hope) of catching it himself. Anyone who was on side (behind him) when it was kicked can also try to catch it.

Rules/Laws here

Association Football is a simpler game, especially with our team; the objective it to prevent the opposition from scoring. If that happens we win the game nil all.

Thanks Guys, I'm armed in the knowledge that when the scrum-half "kind of" kicks the ball, it is a box kick. A Garryowen is when somebody else kicks the ball and whenever it lands it is still in play. I think I have enough knowledge to face the incoming lipsticked and high-heels hordes tomorrow.

Mrs Lep left me with a wine list that the most experienced somelier would be proud of. I'm off to the Wine Shop where I have less knowledge of wine than I have of rugby. But, I've gotta do what I gotta do.

I'm looking forward to Ireland "mixing-it" (heard that one from my neighbour) with the All Blacks. I think I understand the term.

I haven't the time to read up on the Laws of Rugby. But, I'm looking forward to learning from our television and radio commentators. I'm watching some clips on YouTube and I must say I am enjoying referee Nigel Owens' on field comments (a great man to tell a joke against himself). I'm learning slowly but there are some clichés that are growing on me e.g. could be more resourceful in the ruck, lying back in the pocket, ability to throw the dart, seat-belt tackle, great hands, make the ball stick.

I think the result of the match tomorrow is incidental to the whole occasion. I think tomorrow morning will sink into tomorrow evening in terms of celebration one way or the other.

Many Thanks for the information, I hope you all enjoy the occasion.

Lep

I think the result of the match tomorrow is incidental to the whole occasion. I think tomorrow morning will sink into tomorrow evening in terms of celebration one way or the other.

Especially if you open that wine ;):)

Don't forget to set your alarm tone to "Ireland's Call" for tomorrow morning's early start :)

A Garryowen is when someone kicks the ball up in the air and runs after it with the intention (or hope) of catching it himself. Anyone who was on side (behind him) when it was kicked can also try to catch it.

Back in the day, I hoisted a few up and unders myself! I always considered them to be Garryowens……..whether I had the energy to chase them myself or not. Maybe your definition is for Garryowns?!

Last edited:
I hope the wine and repartee glossed over the rubbish match Leper.

Our visitors called/or were dropped off. I should have pointed out that these same people are participating members of Mrs Lep's First Wednesday Book Club or more correct wine consuming club. This time they came before 11.00am. Wine tasting started at 11.01am. We had Ireland's Call which somehow demanded silence being respect supported by the "girls." Let's give credit where credit is due - they knew much more about the game, the tactics, the All-Blacks than I. Eddie O'Sullivan is a kind of god to them. They miss George Hook, but Brent Pope compensated (I reckon it's the age differential).

There was no sign of them being collected after the match. I had bought too much wine and I reckon they thought the expiry date was not too far away and so did us a favour of staying on for Strictly Come Dancing. They had as much admiration for Anton Du Bec, professional ballroom dancer (forgive me if I've spelled his name wrongly) as they had shown towards Eddie O'Sullivan.

The house emptied around 10.00pm after they had eaten my cooked chicken curry and boiled rice, pizzas (cooked from frozen) and my hand-cut chips with not one word of complaint. To give them their due no words of rugby animosity were uttered after the defeat either.

They were good sports-people and I wouldn't hesitate doing the same thing again.

Now for football Rep. of Ireland -V- Denmark . . . well maybe not and wait for more rugby Munster -V-Leinster.

Back