Rugby in Paris in the Spring time (flights, airports question)

Setanta12

Travelling from Berlin to Paris for the rugby. Not a well-travelled traveller!

Hoping for some tips as to which airport, or airline people recommend or avoid completely. We wil be staying very centrally in Paris and onlz if needs must, travelling back early.

How many of you are travelling? I've done the Paris trip a lot and been to both CDG and Beauvais.

If you have a decent sized group (6 or 8) and can get really good flights to Beauvais then it's worth it but arrange a minibus transfer both ways. Avoid the Ryanair bus transfer at all costs... It's not too bad going but the scramble coming back isn't worth it especially for an early flight.

But if there isn't a huge difference in prices I'd strongly suggest CDG (or Orly but can't do Orly from Dublin). If your hotel isn't too far from Gare Du Nord then the train in to GDN from CDG is fine. Anywhere more central in Paris and if there are 4 or you (or more) I'd get taxis from CDG into Paris and back. The cost is about €60 which would be about the same as the train. And save you having to lug bags around the Metro. I think the same is true of Orly

If you have details (numbers and/or what part of Paris) happy to be more specific. I usually organise for my crowd which is usually 6 or 8 people.

I just had a quick look. Direct flights from Berlin to Paris are either EasyJet or Air France. Both are fine though you have to put up with a lot of orange on EasyJet. If going EasyJet just make sure you add in check in bags of you need them and all that... Bit like Ryanair.

They also both fly from both Berlin airports to both CDG or Orly. I'd pick times and prices that suit you first... Don't worry about mixing airports or airlines. My preference would be CDG as it's closer to town but flight times may be a bigger factor for you (or departure airport in Berlin)

The worst part of the journey will be the security queues in Berlin!!!

(or Orly but can't do Orly from Dublin).
These fly from Dublin to Orly direct. They are the budget brand of air France. More like "aer Lingus" than "Ryanair".

Plus last time I was their the Paris taxi and airport doing a deal 20 euro to left bank of the Sine.

Have you checked out train options? Given the time to get to the airport in advance (plus both CDG and Tegel are painful airports) plus getting from the airports to city centre afterwards it might end up being similar times.

Have you checked out train options? Given the time to get to the airport in advance (plus both CDG and Tegel are painful airports) plus getting from the airports to city centre afterwards it might end up being similar times.

Nice idea (I like going by train) - so I thought I'd have a look. Quickest is 8.5 hours each way which is a bit long - even with Tegel I think you'd beat that.

Though price wasn't bad at €211 return

Suppose it depends where in both cities you're staying. Also depends on whether you're the type that needs to get to the airport 90 minutes or more before the flight, if you're a 60 minute person then obviously flight makes more sense. How long does it take to get to central paris from CDG or Orly? Thought it would all add up to reasonably close enough, plus all the security palaver at airports and paying extra for luggage......

Suppose it depends where in both cities you're staying. Also depends on whether you're the type that needs to get to the airport 90 minutes or more before the flight, if you're a 60 minute person then obviously flight makes more sense. How long does it take to get to central paris from CDG or Orly? Thought it would all add up to reasonably close enough, plus all the security palaver at airports and paying extra for luggage......

CDG... By taxi about an hour. Orly might be a little more. Train from CDG is actually quite a bit longer between the jigs 'n' the reels of going from one terminal to another, getting tickets, waiting and then changing to Metro.

Back