RTB and RPZ calculator

salmonofdoubt

Hello,

I rent out a place in a RPZ since 01/01/2016, always for 1100. I need to increase rent next year due to increase costs. I looked at RTB's RPZ calculator

which stipulates the case based formula

Calculation:R x (1 + 0.04 x t/m)
€1100 x ( 1 + 0.04 * 48/24) = €1188.00

However, it also says that I should not place any reliance on that result???

"Results derived from this Rent Pressure Zone calculator are based on the information provided by the user and are for informational purposes only. The accuracy of the results provided cannot be guaranteed in all cases. The Residential Tenancies Board shall not be held responsible for any errors, omissions, or misrepresentations. Any reliance placed on such information is strictly at the users risk."

So do I need a solicitor to confirm the new rent I want to set (1188)? To me it seems that RTB imposes all kind of things but is not authorised to provide specific answers, which renders their service near to useless.

Anyone any advice I would appreciate it.

What that means is that you can't blame them if you put in the wrong info. You don't need a solicitor. If you're happy you put in the correct rent and dates than go with the figure on the calculator.

My brother had a change of tenant and increased the rent. He didn't know about the calculator, he was upping the rent to €150, and I did the calculation and it said it should be 148.87 Euro's so I told him to make the rent €148 and charge the tenant €2 for cleaning the hallways. He thought that was mad altogether so he made the rent €150.

Thank you for the explanation, that is re-assuring. I had also contacted RTB, who said they are prohibited from providing advice. They can only give information with relation to the Residential Tenancies Act. Which renders them effectively information repeaters, a bit pointless. They do say though that the Rent Pressure Zone Calculator should give accurate information regarding the rent increase :)

Back