Robot lawnmowers - pros & cons & experiences

I have one which I don’t use anymore. Worked well initially until rabbits started digging small holes all around the garden which caused it to get stuck. If you’ve got a dog/s there’s issues too, my neighbor has one too that seems to work well except for the time someone reversed over it as it was making its way from one part of the garden to another

The two main issue for me when I mow the lawn are picking up windblown apples and picking up dog logs. These tasks combined take as long the actual mow.
A few apples hit by the mower is no big issue. But slicing/dicing/mining/spreading dog log all over the lawn is a nightmare I never want to live through.

I have a robot vacuum and it’s the best thing I’ve bought in years. The dog would only ever poo inside if she was very sick. It’s never happened in our current house. And we don’t pre-programme the robot vacuum robot anyway. Just set it off when leaving the house for a short while.

The robot vacuum versus dog/cat poo videos on YouTube are very amusing. I’ll have a look to see if there are any mower equivalents.

Best decision ever.

No grass cuttings to dispose of, lawn looks great, deals with apples, leaves, small slopes etc. Keeps neighbourhood cats out of the garden!

Running costs - electricity, didn't notice any major uptick in bill, so not really an issue.

Blades need to be replaced, ideally every year, but I've stretched mine a bit longer.

Anyone who has seen the Terminator movies, should know better than to even consider getting one of these things ....

Anyone who hasn't seen the movies, needs to watch them ;)

Sow a wildflower meadow for nature, mow the perimeter to keep it neat and labyrinthine paths through it for any children to enjoy

"Wildflower" meadows still need to be cut and maintained at least twice per year, you will have a lot of material at end of growth season, if you think you can just leave it and forget it you will end up with a load of weeds and thistles and voracious weeds and few actual wildflowers.

Back