River Island

Re: re: cards

Rainyday,

I'm sorry but if the price of a DVD goes up by 100% in a week, and then down by 100% a few weeks later and then back up again, it's a ripoff.

If they can afford to make a profit selling a DVD for 12.99,
and it jumps a week later to 27.99 that's not being driven by inflation, insurance, wages, or other overheads.

If by market forces you mean that they are exploiting the fact that a significant number of people are too stupid to see through this, then yes, it's market forces.

But it strikes me as odd that we intervene in the market to ensure that Milk and Bread are not sold below a minimum level, but we let this sort of sharp practice go untouched.

-Rd

rip offs

Funny no-one has mentioned the difference in VAT rates between here and the UK as one reason for higher prices.

While I'm on the subject of VAT heres a thought. People who provide services in this country regularly tell their customers that if they pay cash, no VAT will apply. In this case both parties are evading tax.

In the US this does'nt happen and I would hazard a guess that there is more tax compliance there than here. Why impose a tax that encorourages tax evasion? Why not drop VAT on services and get these people to actually pay income tax hance possibly increasing total tax take.

In the US taxes and fines are not as severe as here but they ARE enforced. The smoking ban is an excellent example of this. Get caught smoking in a Californian bar and you get your (circa) $200 fine no questions asked. Here the fine is going to be €3000. Can you see that getting enforced, ya right LOL. Incidentally VAT on goods in Cali is 7%, Vat on services is 0%.

A bit of realism and common sense would go a long way in this country!

Back