Rip-off Culture

And the big problem is that no "new" government will be able to change the rip-off-culture in Ireland....

FG\Labour didn't tackle it, despite starting with a clean slate, a massive majority and the Troika behind them. They burned all their political capital on the black hole that was Irish Water.
So I can't see any typical government doing much about it.

FG\Labour didn't tackle it, despite starting with a clean slate, a massive majority and the Troika behind them. They burned all their political capital on the black hole that was Irish Water.
So I can't see any typical government doing much about it.
FG tried but the legal industry closed ranks, got rid of the minister, and put the people of Ireland (in the guise of their government) back in their place.
Normal service has resumed. The medical industry is also milking it.

this is not about insurance but about a group of travellers refused entry to a pub owned by charlie chalk. There was no evidence just the word of the publican against the word of the travellers. The judge took the side of the travellers and awarded them 100,000. However Im not saying the judge was wrong however how can you justify an award of 100,000 for a refusal to a pub, surely any award should be at most in the single thousands especially when there is no hard evidence of who was truly at fault.
The legal system in Ireland is totally out of control and has been for years, the government needs to take action now

Could I suggest that you read the media reports on the case , the family involved were awarded €33 k - the costs payable by the pub are in the order of €100 k .
Like Chawke and cheese compared to the figure described by you ( couldn’t resist the pun ! )
Indeed their was witnesses-a priest who knew the family described them as a decent family and the bar manager whose testimony was rubbished by the judge and who continually referred to the plaintiffs as “ these people “
Justice served here me thinks

While I don't condone the treatment meted out to the family by Mr Chawke; he is caught between a rock and a hard place. Having worked in several pubs (part-time) in my day, I know a pub can lose favoured clientele by serving members of the travelling community. I am not saying the loyal customers should be dictating who should or should not be served in a pub, but the publican or bar manager probably would act towards satisfying his major customers. Hence, I reckon Mr Chawke will appeal the decision against him. He may not win the appeal but it will be interesting to see what happens..

I'm probably offending some readers, but If I owned the pub, I would serve members of the travelling community. However, I do not own a pub and it is easy for me to talk. I have respect for the travelling community. They often get a bad press which in most cases is undeserved.

It will take time for full recognition of the needs of our travelling community. I hope that time is not far away. It's not so long that members of the gay community were shunned. But, slowly but surely they strove for acceptance and largely they have won, but have they all won? I don't think so, we still have homophobia in Ireland and I think the travelling community are in the same position.

Could I suggest that you read the media reports on the case , the family involved were awarded €33 k - the costs payable by the pub are in the order of €100 k .
but thats the point 33k for refusal to a pub is still way out of order (about a factor of 10 out, 3k would be correct), and 67k costs for the costs !!!, its not about who was right or wrong that is actually irrelevant it is the legal costs and awards. Thats what Im talking about the legal system in ireland has been out of control for decades and now the chickens are coming home to roost.

I must say I believe that the award of 33k to the family in this case was fully warranted as the pub’s behaviour in this case was lamentable.
Leper, I don’t believe that Mr. Chawke will appeal this matter - he hasn’t a leg to stand on !!!

Last edited:
Back