Revenue wont allow PRSA due to late claim

cronley

I made a payment to my PRSA scheme before 31/10/07 & asked Revenue to allow it for 2006 tax year when doing balancing statement. They have accepted that I made the payment in time, but wont allow it for 2006 because I didnt ask for 2006 balancing statement until 06/11/07.
They will allow this payment for 2007 tax year, but it suits me to get it into 2006 tax year - I get more relief at 41% in 2006 & I also want to make a further PRSA payment for 2007 tax year.
Is there anything I can do about this - I know I can appeal it, but am I only wasting my time. Revenue are probably right in law, but have they power to make an exception. They accepted late notification of PRSA payment for 2004 tax year, which I didnt claim until 2006. If I point this out, can they take back the tax relief for 2004.
Any comments appreciated.

Revenue don't need anything by October 31st. You do, however, need to have made the pension contribution by this date in order to qualify for claiming tax and PRSI relief against 2006 income. You can then make the claims after October 31st. This is the case for PAYE anyway - not sure about self employed/assessed.

Clubman
If you are reading this. I am in PAYE. Your comment above to another post, did not work in my case. Revenue have told me I must fulfill 2 conditions to get PRSA payment allowed for 2006 - 1. Payment must be made by 31/10/07 & 2. Revenue must be notified by 31/10/07.
I met condition no. 1 & missed no. 2 by 6 days, because I was not aware of it.

Looks like they have changed the rules. It worked for me in the past also - made PRSA payment pre 31/10/05 - claimed it in 2006 for 2004 tax year & it was allowed. If I point this out now, can they take back relief I got for 2004.
Is appealing the decision a waste of time. Is relying on previous precedent, valid grounds to get the decision reversed. Have Revenue power to make an exception. Any point in appealing to their softer side - missing the time notification technicality by 6 days.

Dare I suggest that it might be something that your local political representitive may be able to help you with?.

Back