Revenue letter saying they owe me VAT back from closed business

RichInSpirit

This year I cleared an old Revenue Debt. Some unpaid VAT from my previous business that more or less went under.
Now after paying Revenue what they said I owed, they say that I paid too much.
Much as I would like to get my greasy hands on this money, I am rather loath to re-engage with Revenue on this.
I no longer use the services of an accountant and my last encounter with my accountant was a little bit acrimonious.
I'm minded to write to Revenue and tell them to give the money to a charity of my choice.
It's not a huge amount of money but it's not too tiny either.

Why not get the revenue to transfer the money back to you and give it to charity directly?

You should be able to do this via ROS without having to talk to anyone.

I think it's psychological warfare against me.

I rang Revenue the other day about it, got placed on hold and about 5 minutes later they closed the call.

I would not give my accounts details - if you paid revenue what they asked for they are unlikely to be refunding you. However, you should log on the revenue site and check your details there. If refund is due, I would suggest you take it and give it to whoever but I would not suggest to Revenue that they give it to a charity. Can you check that the telephone number on the letter you received is a genuine revenue number?

I suppose I could show the letters to the Gardaí and ask their opinion.
I'm surprised the revenue didn't have your address and bank details already. If they were giving you back anything it would usually be in a cheque and no a/c details needed, otherwise just address but they should have had both in any case.

Back