retrieving money in deceased's account

jimmmy

Just wondering can the next of kin of a deceased person retrieve money out of a deceased's bank account , just by producing death cert or whatever ?

I think if it was a joint account you may be able to do this. If not as far as I know this will have to go to probate even if a will was made.

Banks may allow the executor, on production of appropriate ID & copies of the will and death cert, to pay out for funeral expenses and lodge cheques / drafts payable to the deceased. Other than that, deseased's accounts are effectively frozen, unless joint as outlined above.

I think if amount is small a b ank may release fun.ds to next of kin on them signing an indemnity. You should ask the bank their requirements

Some banks do allow a small withdrawal, otherwise the solicitor involved in the probate can authorise payments AFAIK. Probate can take an incredibly long time so best to start it ASAP as tough as it may be.

as far as I know :)
Thank you so much. I have been reading this word so often and thought it was referring to the irish (can't spell it afec) old friend.

I have an aversion to TLA's (three letter abreviations) now I have to include FLA's mmmmmm. I'm getting old!!!

and for that I apologise to the jimmmy.:eek: I didn't mean to make light of his problem.

The solicitor appointed to look after the estate can issue a letter of authority allowing the bank or building society to release such funds as are necessary to pay outstanding bills and relevant expenses.

I second the apology.

A cousin of mine was left a farm by a non relative. A nephew contested the will which was all above board. While the matter was being sorted the cash relating to the will was held by the solicitor with sums being released regularly so that the farm could be run on a day to day basis. Receipts had to be submitted. All was sorted eventually with my cousin's interest in the farm being substantiated by the courts.

Back