Resorts in POrtugal to recommend

zxcvbnm

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for Portugal.

Me and my sister and mother are going.

Basically - we are looking for something like Marbella (where we normally go) - but in protugal as a change.

Looking for :
- A nice beach
- nice restaurants
- ideally an old town
- reasonably lively with a few bars - but not crazy with drunken holiday goers.

Interesting, didn't know there was a train that handy to Lagos! I have been to Alvor a couple of times and fancied Lagos too but the transfer is long from the airport and flights always seemed to arrive in at an ungodly hour so trains wouldn't have been an option. Must check out this with other flight times, what length is the train journed?

I agree with Chelseablue - Cascais has old town, beach, marina, and train to Lisbon takes less than half an hour if you want some sightseeing

On the Algarve, if being near an old town is not essential, Vilamoura is great. Short transfer to the airport, two beaches, tons of restaurants all around the marina. It is reasonably lively, but tends to attract a more mature crowd so you don't get the crowds of drunks. It's particularly popular with golfers, but if you don't golf, it's a great place to relax.

I'm just back from Portugal.
We stayed near Palmela, close to Setubal. Sutubal is really lovely (old town and great food but not a resort type town) and best of all there are no Irish or English there.

A large proportion of them drink to much and shout to much and are generally unpleasant to be around.

I would highly recommend Tavira, 30 mins from Faro airport, traditional & unspoilt with a good choice of restaurants & a good mix of nationalities. You need to use a small ferry to access the beach. This added to the charm for us but if you like to access a beach several times daily it might not be your thing. We have enjoyed hols all over the Algarve & Tavira is definitely a new favourite.

I am returning to Tavira next week. Can't wait. Fair play to the town planners for keeping the town centre so authentic. Lovely streets to roam around. Beautiful tiles on building facades and lots of history. Not a Starbucks in sight although I think the hipsters may be moving in! I love the boat trip to the beach too. Highly recommended (but don't tell too many people about it.....!!!)

.....except I thought that the little boat we were on (from the end of the quay) was overloaded with people.

I agree with you those boats can be packed. Also they could do with providing shelter on the harbour in the town for those waiting in the heat!

Back