Replacement Sofa Cushions

alexandra123

Hello,

Just wondering what normal people do in this situation

Sofa bought 4 years ago in EzLiving, but the sofa cushions look old and tattered and need to be replaced. I have contacted Ez Living who say that because the sofa is outside there 1 year manufacturing warranty that they will not replace the cushions. I then asked if I could buy the cushions to which they replied no as they dont do replacement parts.

Does anyone know how I get the same cushions/fabric. I looked online and dont see anything similar and I want to keep the existing sofa cushion scheme. Is there a way I can politely force their hand to sell me the cushions or give me the name of the source of the sofa provider ?

Thanks

Hello,

Sofa bought 4 years ago in EzLiving, but the sofa cushions look old and tattered and need to be replaced. I have contacted Ez Living who say that because the sofa is outside there 1 year manufacturing warranty that they will not replace the cushions. I then asked if I could buy the cushions to which they replied no as they dont do replacement parts.

Does anyone know how I get the same cushions/fabric. I looked online and dont see anything similar and I want to keep the existing sofa cushion scheme. Is there a way I can politely force their hand to sell me the cushions or give me the name of the source of the sofa provider ?

Thanks
The world of sofas is totally unsustainable. You will find it difficult to get the material. The best option is to go to an upholsterer. They have the foam/material to make new cushions the same size. They might also be able to source similar material for the covers or at least find something suitable. However, they are generally prohibitively expensive from my experience

Sofas are designed unfortunately to be replaced. The cost of reupholstery or refurbishment is outrageous.

I’ve had a super couch for ten years. Needs reupholsters and a few cushions replaced. Was quoted 2k to redo the couch and 350 extra for new cushions.

The couch cost me 2.5k ten years ago and I can buy a new one similar for 1800. Its bonkers

That's just the cost of labour in Ireland (upholster) v cost of labour in China (manufacturer) or whatever country the sofa was made in

The material cost will be more or less the same the world over - bar shipping, tarifs and customs duty

I agree with upholsterer being best option, might be able to get a complimentary fabric in same colour scheme even if not identical. Family member replaced two base cushions on couch and one on chair lately (might have been spring or two in chair too), think it was nearly 600 for the lot, foam is very expensive but as you just need recovering it might not be as expensive.

I was quoted 1,500 to reupholster a couch that cost me 700 to buy, I'm not going to bother, it's in fine condition but just faded and sure the new fabric would fade too so I'll live with it!

Pop down to finline furniture in Emo Co. laois and see if they have something to suit.

Last time I was there they had a fair whack of cushions. They possibly could make some too - they've hundreds of fabrics.

All made in Emo

Hello,

Thanks
Unfortunately the lifespan of a fabric couch is 5 - 7 years so getting replacement cushions might not be possible. If it is not too much of a mismatch a plain fabric in a similar colour might work. Zhivago in D17 supply cushion foam and have a large choice of fabric. I buy leather sofas as they have up to a 20 year life span.

There are some previous AAM threads here about reupholstering.

After 4 years you can almost be guaranteed that the fabric is no longer available as manufacturer's regularly update. I ran into this problem recently with a headboard.

Another point to bear in mind is that through wear and tear and light coming into the room the new material would most likely not match the existing. Batches dyed separately would also come into the equation which is something that a lot of manufacturers warn about especially in things like wallpaper. I got 2 steps on carpet stairs repaired and it was horrible because of colour difference.

In those previous threads you might see recommendations for A.J. Furniture in Capel St., Dublin Very small store but good service. Like others have said though reupholstering can work out same price as new purchase.

Capel Upholstery are suppliers of materials also.

Unfortunately the lifespan of a fabric couch is 5 - 7 years so getting replacement cushions might not be possible. If it is not too much of a mismatch a plain fabric in a similar colour might work. Zhivago in D17 supply cushion foam and have a large choice of fabric. I buy leather sofas as they have up to a 20 year life span.
My fabric couch is 20 years old this year , but it was over 5k. I expect it to last many more years too.

Cushions don't have to be the same fabric. If anything having the cushions as a contrasting, but complimentary design can look great.

One of mine is 33 yrs old, now it was recovered once very early on as the original fabric wore so badly the shop refunded some of the cost but is still perfect. Second one is 21 yrs old, that said I think they made them better years ago so a newer one might not last the distance. I'd actually get original one recovered again if necessary rather than buying a new one.

Another point to bear in mind is that through wear and tear and light coming into the room the new material would most likely not match the existing. Batches dyed separately would also come into the equation which is something that a lot of manufacturers warn about especially in things like wallpaper. I got 2 steps on carpet stairs repaired and it was horrible because of colour difference.
This is a very good point too, colours change very quickly with light, even when you go to touch up a bit of paint on the wall from an original pot it can often be slightly different freshly applied. Same for different dyed batches as mentioned, if you were a knitter you have to ensure all the balls you buy are the same dye lot as they do vary!

I'd actually get original one recovered again if necessary rather than buying a new one.

We went for this option purely because the original suite was from M&S and the frame was well made and very strong. You have to give it to them the M&S suites are expensive but well made.

If you do go for recovering try to get material that can be dry cleaned or washed and even though they don't look great arm covers are a good idea to save on wear and tear. Use them daily for family use and remove if visitors coming and you don't like the look of the arm covers.

Back