Replacement of washing/dryer in rental property

deeobrien

Hi All,

I've a capital expenses related tax question.

I have a house rented out. I claimed capital expenses (12.5%) for some of the fittings/fixtures. Washer/dryer broke down twice last year and was repaired. Repairs were offset against 2019 taxes. Now it it was broken down again and its uneconomical to repair so it needs to be replaced. I think I can claim a balance allowance for what was left in W&T in the old washing/dryer. What happens that balancing allowance? Does that get applied in one year or get prorated over what is remaining from the 8 years W&T? Or do I just right the replacement cost off this years taxes and not included it in capital expenses going forward?

Thanks!

You should write off the remaining balance in 2020. So for e.g. if you had claimed 250 out of 500 up to 2019 of the original cost of the washer/dryer, the balance of 250 would be written off this year. The new washer/dryer would be also written down by 12.5% for 2020..

From experience, the problem with a single unit washer/dryer in a rented house is that the dryer load is less than the washer load.
So tenants keep overloading the machines.

You might then decide to get a washer only - prepare to learn about the ins and out of black mould.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately as there was a washer/dryer in there I have to replace with the same. (According to my agent). I suppose I should have switched it to a washer only before l rented. Too late now
From experience, the problem with a single unit washer/dryer in a rented house is that the dryer load is less than the washer load.
So tenants keep overloading the machines.

You might then decide to get a washer only - prepare to learn about the ins and out of black mould.

If there is no outdoor drying facility attached to the to the Apartment you must supply a dryer

If you have a back garden which is suitable for erecting a clothes drying line etc you are not obliged to install a dryer. You might inform the tenants in writing that drying clothes indoors is not acceptable whether they comply or not is an an other issue

If you have a back garden which is suitable for erecting a clothes drying line etc you are not obliged to install a dryer. You might inform the tenants in writing that drying clothes indoors is not acceptable whether they comply or not is an an other issue
I think you're missing the point (or mixing up who has said what)?

The house was originally rented with a washer / dryer. It's now broken, and being replaced.

The OP never said anything about tenants drying clothes indoors.

You should write off the remaining balance in 2020. So for e.g. if you had claimed 250 out of 500 up to 2019 of the original cost of the washer/dryer, the balance of 250 would be written off this year. The new washer/dryer would be also written down by 12.5% for 2020..

and would you deduct the 250 under repairs and maintenance? I had asked before about this in terms of new carpets etc. I guess the same principle applies?

I deduct it under capital allowances as a write off. Repairs and maintenance would be more in relation to fixing the machines.

I deduct it under capital allowances as a write off. Repairs and maintenance would be more in relation to fixing the machines.
Sorry, yes, that was a typo. So in the case of the washing machine above, you add 250 euro to your capital allowances in 2020, in addition to the first year of your new washing machine? Its like you draw a line in the sand for the old washing machine in 2020 and start the new 8 years at the same time?? Thanks

Sorry, yes, that was a typo. So in the case of the washing machine above, you add 250 euro to your capital allowances in 2020, in addition to the first year of your new washing machine? Its like you draw a line in the sand for the old washing machine in 2020 and start the new 8 years at the same time?? Thanks
Yes exactly

Back