Replacement for Campbell O’Connor

Kimmagegirl

Frequent Poster
When dealing with Davy Select can I have my account in Sterling?

If I want to do some trades on the FTSE 100. Buying and Selling, it would be convenient to keep my holdings in Sterling. Otherwise I have to deal through Euro. This would mean a bid/offer currency spread every time I need to buy and sell a share listed in Sterling.

The retail banks have a bid/offer spread of up to 5 pence. Would this be the same spread that Davy would use?

davyselect

When dealing with Davy Select can I have my account in Sterling?

If I want to do some trades on the FTSE 100. Buying and Selling, it would be convenient to keep my holdings in Sterling. Otherwise I have to deal through Euro. This would mean a bid/offer currency spread every time I need to buy and sell a share listed in Sterling.

The retail banks have a bid/offer spread of up to 5 pence. Would this be the same spread that Davy would use?
Hi Kimmagegirl,

Yes you can. Your Davy Select account allows you to maintain separate Euro, Sterling and USD sub-accounts. There is no extra charge for this.

Please let us know if you have any other questions

Regards
davyselect

davyselect

OK. I sell in the morning on a T+2 basis. That afternoon the share price drops and I need to buy these again or some other share. Can I purchase immediately or do I have to wait until you receive my fund from the sale?
Hi Grizzly,

Sorry for not responding sooner. You do not need to wait until settlement date to re-invest the funds. As soon as a sale of shares is contracted (usually within a few minutes) the proceeds will be available to re-invest.

Please let us know if you have any further questions

Best regards
davyselect

davyselect

You would imagine that Davy Stockbrokers would have the latest technology on their trading platform.

When you did a trade with Campbell O'Connor, on your contract note, you were shown the exact time of your trade (with Davy you are only shown the date of the trade).
Campbell O'Connor also showed you the exact purchase price that you received to 6 decimal points. For example you might have received a price for Tesco at £2.37625. On the Davy platform they just show £2.37.

I agree that if you have a Sterling or US Dollar portfolio that is expressed in Euro in your account, they should display the rate of exchange used to value your portfolio.
Hi BOXtheFOX,

Sorry for the delay in responding. The exact time of your trade is displayed on the Davy Select contract note. It is just to the left of the trade quantity. The contract note also shows the price to 4 decimal places.

It may be that you are looking at the transaction statements page rather than the contract note. The transaction statement page shows the trade date but not the trade time. It also only shows the price to 2 decimal places.

If there are non Euro holdings in a Euro account the exchange rates used in the valuation can be found on the bottom left of the Valuations tab - “View Exchange Rates”. If all the assests held on the account are Euro assets this option does not appear on the tab.

Best regards
davyselect

davyselect

Unfortunately when Davy Select sell your Sterling shares they convert this to Euro in your account BUT they do not show you the rate of exchange they used to make this conversion. They only say it was the rate of exchange that was applicable on the day. Your account should clearly show the rate used because when you need to do another trade in Sterling, you will have to factor in the exchange rate used.

Campbell O'Connor always showed the rate of exchange they used when they converted Sterling to Euro.
Hi IsleOfMan,

You will find the exchange rate on the bottom left hand corner of the contract note.

Best regards
davyselect

davyselect

Is there someone from Davy Select monitoring the email support@davy.ie?

It's like pulling teeth!
Hi Grizzly,

support@davy.ie is not a valid email address in Davy. Can you please resend your query to davyselect@davy.ie and we will look into it straight away?

We would also appreciate if you could let us know where you are seeing the support@davy.ie address and we will have it changed/removed.

Sorry for the inconvenience

Best regards
davyselect

Grizzly

Frequent Poster
I received two emails from this address. On looking closer I see there is a note that says "do not reply to this email". My fault, I did reply.

But it was not bounced back to me? Which is strange.

davyselect

I received two emails from this address. On looking closer I see there is a note that says "do not reply to this email". My fault, I did reply.

But it was not bounced back to me? Which is strange.
Hi Grizzly,

Thanks for letting us know. Did you get your query resolved through davyselect@davy.ie?

Best regards
davyselect

Grizzly

Frequent Poster
Yes. I had to send the email again. Apparently the problem was dealt with over a week ago but I never got the promised phone call to give me an update. This morning I got an envelope posted to me from Client Data Management that wasn't sealed. Only part of the gum flap was sealed. All my personal information, including my account number would have been visible to anyone at little effort. Hopefully going forward things improve.......

davyselect

Yes. I had to send the email again. Apparently the problem was dealt with over a week ago but I never got the promised phone call to give me an update. This morning I got an envelope posted to me from Client Data Management that wasn't sealed. Only part of the gum flap was sealed. All my personal information, including my account number would have been visible to anyone at little effort. Hopefully going forward things improve.......
Hi Grizzly,

We are pleased that your issue has been resolved. We would like to apologise for our failure to call you back as promised. We have discussed this with the team and will endeavour to ensure it does not happen again. We have also asked our operations department to check the quality of the seals on documents being dispatched.

Please let us know if you have any other queries

Best regards
davyselect

Last edited:

gerard kelly

I was with Campbell o Connor for over 20 years.
What documents do I need to bring with me to open an account with Davy Select ?

davyselect

Hi Gerard,

You would need to bring:
  • Passport
  • Drivers licence
  • An Original Proof of Address from the last 6 months (utility bill, financial statement, letter from revenue)
  • Proof of PPS
We are open from 8am to 5.30pm Mon-Fri at 49 Dawson Street. The Luas stops about 100 mtrs from the office. There is also parking at Setanta and Dawson St car parks.

Look forward to meeting you

davyselect

MrEarl

Frequent Poster
Hi Gerard,

You would need to bring:
  • Passport
  • Drivers licence
  • An Original Proof of Address from the last 6 months (utility bill, financial statement, letter from revenue)
  • Proof of PPS
We are open from 8am to 5.30pm Mon-Fri at 49 Dawson Street. The Luas stops about 100 mtrs from the office. There is also parking at Setanta and Dawson St car parks.

Look forward to meeting you

davyselect

Eh, what's a Luas ? :)

Peanuts

Frequent Poster
If I want to make a one time sale of share certificates do I have to open an online account with eg Davy or is there an easier option

davyselect

If I want to make a one time sale of share certificates do I have to open an online account with eg Davy or is there an easier option
Hi Peanuts,

There is no easier option unfortunately. This is the same for all brokers.

Best Regards
davyselect