Repair charges!

Rover45

Hi Guys, Brought my Car in for a new clutch today .Won't have it back until Monday evening at the earliest .Anywho, My questions is this when I asked for a price of the repair I couldn't get a straight bloody answer I was just told put at least E500 by for it . Is this a lot for a new clutch (clutch,clutch plate and thrust bearings) .I've been fleeced by garages before with my last car so Im like a bag of nerves after hearing this. The car also needs afull service after I get the new clutch ,he said he didnt have time to do both jobs .

Re: Repair charges!!

sounds like alot of money for a clutch. I take it that price is supply and fit? Is that price from a dealership garage or Independant garage?

A clutch kit should be about €150 - €300 for most cars. LUK make good clutch kits. Fitting is pretty straight forward too.

Its an independant garage in Dun Laoghaire. My car is 1.4L Rover 45.The price is supply and Fit it just kills me inside to pay that much but it must be done.A Rover garage quoted me a lot more than that believe me .

give your local motor factors a call and ask how much a LUK or similar clutch kit costs.... then subtract that figure from the €500 and you have the labour being charged... Will be easy to make your decision then

Unfortunatly the decisions already been made the car is down there . It can't go any place cuz the thrust bearing has burned through the clutch plate apparently(??? havent a notion what der on about ???) Can anyone reccomend a place to get a really good service from?

Its an independant garage in Dun Laoghaire. My car is 1.4L Rover 45.The price is supply and Fit it just kills me inside to pay that much but it must be done.A Rover garage quoted me a lot more than that believe me .

Are there still Rover garages around?

Yeah theres a few around .Theres K&c garages in churchtown. Anyone know where i can get good service done on my car once I get it back from havin the new clutch fitted.

Hiya, I priced around a couple of garages yesterday and the max price I was quoted was E320 for a new clutch . I have to pay the mechanic who is replacing mine E500 tommorrow . How do I confront him about the blatant overcharging? any help would be really appreciated. Cheers

You haven't been overcharged-unless I'm missing something. You are being charged more than you would have been if you had called around in the first place.

You could try and bargain him down and take your business elsewhere in the future if he refuses to budge. If you don't ask, you don't get, but the garage/mechanic is under no obligation to reduce their quoted price as far as I can see.

The clutch on my car went outside the garage so I had no were else to go . I couldnt ring around for prices as I just wanted it fixed .However, He is charging me a hell of alot more than other's around.

That still isn't overcharging and isn't he charging you less than a Rover garage?

Rover45 said:
A Rover garage quoted me a lot more than that believe me .

That isn't the point . How can he charge me E500 fo rthe same job that costs between E250 -E320 elsewhere?

ask him for an itemised bill and then try tackling him when you have the figures in front of you.Is he charging you for a tow in?Thats usually another 100 yoyos straight away.Tow trucks seem to be getting heavier on diesel!!! Don't pay him until you have the bill in your hand and don't fall for "the girl in the office only works on the third tuesday"malarkey. Best of luck please keep us posted.

the clutch on my car went when i was pulled up outside the the garage so i couldn't shop around and i didn't get a tow in .

Rover45, Your not being over charged, To do a clutch job, Can take anything up to 12 hours or more on some yokes, But yours prob around 4, You would want at least €200 for labour for the hardship, €200 ish for the clutch and €20 or so for gear oil and vat. Remember he's replacing the 3 piece clutch not just a disc.

You can get a job done too cheap and you'll pay twice for it.

If you have a problem with the price you should argue the price at the start of the job, It's just cheeky to get a job done and like that where you broke down on thurs or fri and have the car back Today, If you broke down in most garages you'd be off the road for prob closer to 2 weeks so he's putting you first in a list of cars to do aswell.

Is there no apprecaation left in this world!

Last edited:
the clutch on my car went when i was pulled up outside the the garage so i couldn't shop around and i didn't get a tow in .
So you're paying for the convenience of not getting it towed to a more competitive garage.

I don't understand the "cheeky" comment - care to explain?

What I mean is, For a Mechanic to look at your car straight away and tell you it's a clutch that's gone, For him to do his best to try and get a clutch as quick as he can and then put you ahead of others cars because your broken down and then AGREE a price with him, where he's making very little money for his time any way,

Then when the jobs done and he's happy with then car argue the price with him, It's not on.

Sorry - still don't understand your point. Your post above seems a bit garbled to me.