Rented apartment Inspection

Blackwexford

Hi all, happy New Year.
Sorry if wrong forum.
I had the apartment I rent out inspected by Fingal County Council who had an engineering company carry out the inspection. All went well a few small findings.
1) map for evacuation points.
2)Second floor apartment security locks on windows.
3) extra smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.

My question mainly related to number 3. Has anyone gone through this process, can the smoke and CM alarms be one. Does it have to he fitted to the mains, if it has a long life battery does this meet the standards. Apartment is a 2 bed .
Any help much appreciated thanks.

Hi all, happy New Year.
Sorry if wrong forum.
I had the apartment I rent out inspected by Fingal County Council who had an engineering company carry out the inspection. All went well a few small findings.
1) map for evacuation points.
2)Second floor apartment security locks on windows.
3) extra smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.

My question mainly related to number 3. Has anyone gone through this process, can the smoke and CM alarms be one. Does it have to he fitted to the mains, if it has a long life battery does this meet the standards. Apartment is a 2 bed .
Any help much appreciated thanks.
First off, well done you obviously keep the place well, this is a very light list.

AFAIK the alarms must be 10 year rated, while this does not mean they must be connected to the mains, there is a battery type which meet this requirement, however the mains type is usual.

Yes I look after the place and Tenant as if I was living there. Thanks for the information. If I get fitted to the mains I need to get signed off by a registered electrician, which is a pain I'll most likely go with the 10 year sealed battery , do you know is the smoke and carbon monoxide can be a single unit as I have seen in screwfix for €45

I don't know. You would probably need something in writing from the manufacturer in any case, maybe off their website.

You'd need to clarify this with them, I tried to put in battery operated alarms and was emphatically told they needed to be mains powered as "could not rely on tenant replacing batteries" (complete nanny state nonsence). This was longford CoCo.

Thanks knuttell spoke to a mate who building apartment for the council. They have to be wired to the mains. The 10 battery ones are ok in a house but not apartment.

You'd need to clarify this with them, I tried to put in battery operated alarms and was emphatically told they needed to be mains powered as "could not rely on tenant replacing batteries" (complete nanny state nonsence). This was longford CoCo.

Yes I have dealt with them and their " Inspectors " who can be incompetent to put it mildly. I am in a position to prove that in case anyone takes issue with that comment.

Thanks Dermot I would have thought the 10 year battery was enough but no. I need to do evacuation plan said it to tenant they laughed and said how dumb do you think we are, door small stairs and door.

I have had many of my rented properties (apartments) in “Fingal county council” inspected and I had to change all my smoke alarms to the 10 year (no access to the battery compartment). type. Minimum 2 required per apartment.
Also minimum 2 carbon monoxide alarms per apartment.

Thanks Dermot I would have thought the 10 year battery was enough but no. I need to do evacuation plan said it to tenant they laughed and said how dumb do you think we are, door small stairs and door.
Our Omc put up escape plans/maps on every floor. We are in Fingal Co Co area

Back