Health Insurance Renewal, looking for best value cover for our needs

EmmaKennedy

Hi everyone,
I hope someone can advise me. Our family health insurance is up for renewal and I´m trying to get as much information I can before deciding. We´re a family of 5 (2 adults early 40s, 3 children 7, 6, 3), based in Co. Sligo. The nearest hospitals are Sligo General (public) and Kingsbridge, Sligo (private) . We´re all currently with Laya, adults on Essential Health 300 policy and children on Essential Connect Family (only pay for 1st child, 2nd and 3rd children free).

I´m considering
- switching the adults, or one of us to Laya Control 300 Create because of better day-to-day cover (gp, osteopathy, mental health, dental, optician). It´s €157.51 more expensive, but our day-to-day medical expenses would be covered for at least for one of us.
- switching the children to Essential Health 300,. It´s €20 cheaper and the same offer of 2nd and 3rd child go free applies.

Do VHI or Irish Life have any good offers for children? If not, and if Laya is the best for child cover, then I know that one adult would have to stay with Laya also.
Is there a VHI or Irish Life plan comparable to, but better value than the Laya plans I´ve mentioned, for the other adult?

Thank you in advance

Hi Emma,
I am in a similar position....2 adults and 3 kids (aged 4 months, 3 and 6).
Previously 1 adult was on company plan 1.3 vhi €1241.99, other adult with ILH 4d health 2 €1360.60 and kids on best ultimate active €407 each.

I am in the middle of figuring out tax relief on medical bills and tbh I am finding the kids claiming back very little on medical receipts. However I did claim a good bit back on car seats €100 each, Fitbits €20 each, tennis membership €50 and gaa I think it was €30. They also get prescriptions back 6 x €20 and got €50 back for chicken pox vaccines.
I started looking at it yesterday and starting exploring the option of hospital care plans and day to day separately.
I haven’t looked at the finer details eg what hospitals etc are included but vhi have a hospital plan smart plan €1012 (my husband), Laya have signify plus €1017.12 need to check the cardiac cover (my husband) and was looking at flex explore 125 for kids €372 (pay for 1st child). I also looked at inspire €1200.48 or simply health choice €1254 for me as they include maternity consultant fees.

For day to day Laya have smart family 40 which is €550 per year or hsf have lots of different ones. Google tell me hsf have waiting periods so I emailed for clarification.

Last edited:
. However I did claim a good bit back on car seats €100 each, Fitbits €20 each, tennis membership €50 and gaa I think it was €30.

That's amazing, I wasn't aware health insurance paid a contribution towards leisure pursuits.

That's amazing, I wasn't aware health insurance paid a contribution towards leisure pursuits.
Yes but only Irish life health. My middle fella will have tennis membership and rugby membership in August so I need to sit down and add up what I will be claiming. My husband also got Fitbit refund I think €50, personal training I think 5 x €30 back, rugby membership I think it’s €30. You need to select them under personal packages. He gets to pick two my kids get to pick 4.

When we have our baby in August he even got to claim car parking fees back. Again this was under the personal packages which there is no wait time for.
Op I will ring Cornmarket on the 2nd. Sometimes they have cheaper prices.

Hi all,

Dermot Goode spoke recently on Radio Kerry (18th Dec). He answered some very interesting questions which may be helpful to you.

For some reason that I do not really understand I am unable to post a link. However the pod cast is freely available.

Radio Kerry, The Jerry O Sullivan show 18/12/2020

Just to update....got a cracking deal with laya.
I have put both adults on inspire plus €1286.25 each, my eldest on it too he is 6 €287 and my youngest 3 and a baby on flex 125 explore for free!
Total €2859.50
They also waived the 3% monthly charge. I did ask about a cash plan but they said I didn’t need it.
I have cropped off the names.

Attachments

• EBBBDD87-04C8-49CE-97B7-901F3A029339.jpeg
    EBBBDD87-04C8-49CE-97B7-901F3A029339.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 391
Just to update....got a cracking deal with laya.
I have put both adults on inspire plus €1286.25 each, my eldest on it too he is 6 €287 and my youngest 3 and a baby on flex 125 explore for free!
Total €2859.50
They also waived the 3% monthly charge. I did ask about a cash plan but they said I didn’t need it.
I have cropped off the names.
Hi Familyof3,
I'm back again a year later! I'm about to renew again with Laya. Can I ask how you got the 3% monthly direct debit charge waived?
Kind regards,
Emma

Are there any Health insurance policy's where the day to day Costs are fully covered??.
At the moment say when I go to the doctor or I can only claim 50% back and Dentist 50% up to €150 per policy year.

Back