registered post

When I was living in Lucan and working in Clondalkin, I had the same thing happen to me, in that a registered packet (it was a broadband router) was delivered to the house and I was not there. I brought the docket into work, gave it to our work postman, who collected the item from the sorting office and brought it back to me the next day with the office post.

He really is a gem, he has been our postie in work for about four years now and we hate him even going on holidays! He goes out of his way to help in any way he can, and is never in bad form. A really, really lovely genuine person.

Its really the same as any industry, there are some people who are dilligent, professional and helpful in their jobs and there are those who are not.

Why bother with registered post. My OH ordered something from a camera shop and the shop sent it by registered post and it never came (No note nothing). The shop sent another one by ordinary post and it arrived the next day. The shop is checking with An Post as to where the registered package has gone.

Do you expect the banks to open late to suit you too? Do you always stay late for a customer coming to your business?
This is the kind of disrespectful/patronising behaviour a certain user was complaining about in the "Rude Presenter on The Cafe" thread when he was referring to people criticising grammar/punctuation.

I think briancbyrne has the logical response below about it being a service payed for by us. If somebody can't get to a bank they should open longer imo, after all they are not a charity, so they should suit us, not themselves.
If the OP pays his taxes he has every right to complain about An Post's service if he has a problem. No wonder you've remained quiet. :) If you could elaborate on your point I may be more informed, but your post seemed short and snappy to me.

having a bad day Rainy ? - Last time i looked the An Post was a public service - - therefore i think they should do more to serve the public - -after all our taxes have bailed out this service for long enough (if it were my companyand performed like it has done it would have been closed long ago )
I would have thought a moderator would keep thier comments constructive - but hey thats just me

Expecting any business (public or private) to remain open because one single customer may arrive late is crazy. I'd hate to think that An Post would waste money on keeping offices open to accomodate those who are too lazy to get up early or come down on a Saturday morning.

Expecting any business (public or private) to remain open because one single customer may arrive late is crazy. I'd hate to think that An Post would waste money on keeping offices open to accomodate those who are too lazy to get up early or come down on a Saturday morning.
Sorry - Wasn't aware they did Saturday openings. But in fairness some people work on that day too.

Sorry - Wasn't aware they did Saturday openings. But in fairness some people work on that day too.
Still can't see how it's so onerous for people in that situation to authorise somebody else to collect their register post for them as allowed by the An Post form/process. I can't see that the odd person who can't collect during Monday to Saturday opening hours would justify them opening even longer hours or on Sunday.

Still can't see how it's so onerous for people in that situation to authorise somebody else to collect their register post for them as allowed by the An Post form/process. I can't see that the odd person who can't collect during Monday to Saturday opening hours would justify them opening even longer hours or on Sunday.
If An Post introduced Saturday openings, would that not justify/explain the claim that not everybody can get someone else to collect their registered post as valid?

Wouldn't most of those who work on Saturday's have a day off Mon-Fri?
Not unless they love their job.

Yes, this is a pain in the ass when post can't be delivered. If you can't get to pick it up within a certain time frame they just return to sender too. Luckily a neighbour of mine works in the sorting office, so if he ever comes across a pacakge for me he brings it home with him.

You can also nominate a neighbour to receive the post on your behalf if I recall the An Post registered post/package missed delivery form correctly. I honestly believe that some people are making a mountain out of a molehill here and just looking for things to complain about.

But we don't all have neighbours available. I live in a rural, fairly remote area - my only two relatively close neighbours are not in their homes during the day.

In fact, this registered post thing affected me last month - in order for me to be in work on time I have to leave the house before my local post office opens - it's a 6 mile journey from my home. My place of work is about 15 miles in the opposite direction. In the end, in order to sign for and collect my package, I had to leave work during the day causing an absence of about an hour and a quarter.

If I had left it until the weekend, the 3 days (?) by which time the parcel would have been returned to sender, would have lapsed.

I'm not actually complaining and this scenario is infrequent for me, but it can cause difficulties for someone in my circumstances.

What do you mean "if"? Post offices do open for a half day on Saturdays and have done for as long as I can remember . . .
Some post offices do but the delivery offices (for collection of registered post) don't.

You can also nominate a neighbour to receive the post on your behalf if I recall the An Post registered post/package missed delivery form correctly. I honestly believe that some people are making a mountain out of a molehill here and just looking for things to complain about.

A real case of where it inconvenienced me was when a friend was posting me concert tickets for a gig which was going to be on later that same week. She decided went she went to send them that she would go with registered post, ironically to ensure I had them in time. I was a young worker, first job, unreasonable intimidating boss, new to a rented flat in an area I didn't know well and with no car. I got home, saw the docket telling me to go to some depot in Ballyfermot during working hours. I would have to have done it next day to have tickets in time for gig. I would then have to get a bus to some nearby location, and wander around looking for the place. I was in work next day and asked permission to leave early. It wasn't granted. I missed the gig. The tickets landed back with my friend a few days later. Like I said above, pain in the ass. No mountains, no molehills, just an inconvenient truth.

A real case of where it inconvenienced me was when a friend was posting me concert tickets for a gig which was going to be on later that same week. She decided went she went to send them that she would go with registered post, ironically to ensure I had them in time.
As far as I know registered post is purely for security and unlike courier/express post offers no guarantee of delivery time. Sounds like she chose the wrong service. Hardly An Post's fault that you missed the gig?

I honestly believe that some people are making a mountain out of a molehill here and just looking for things to complain about.
ClubMan, I have absolutely no doubt that you would be right in stating this for 90% of Ireland's failed deliveries, some people would just be lazy, obnoxious or just "cry babies". However, do you not think it would be cruel of An Post to generalise everyone (as you appear to have?) and dump the remaining 10% into the prior category just to make their life easier?
Some people would genuinely have trouble getting to the package office(s) and I believe they shouldn't be ignored.
A real case of where it inconvenienced me was when a friend was posting me concert tickets for a gig which was going to be on later that same week. She decided went she went to send them that she would go with registered post, ironically to ensure I had them in time. I was a young worker, first job, unreasonable intimidating boss, new to a rented flat in an area I didn't know well and with no car. I got home, saw the docket telling me to go to some depot in Ballyfermot during working hours. I would have to have done it next day to have tickets in time for gig. I would then have to get a bus to some nearby location, and wander around looking for the place. I was in work next day and asked permission to leave early. It wasn't granted. I missed the gig. The tickets landed back with my friend a few days later. Like I said above, pain in the ass. No mountains, no molehills, just an inconvenient truth.
In fairness to An Post, that sounded like your arrogant boss's fault. Or you should have organised the tickets sooner?

Some people would genuinely have trouble getting to the package office(s) and I believe they shouldn't be ignored.
They're not - there are practical/pragmatic alternatives to going to the PO/sorting officein person in this case. These must cater for at least some of the remaining hypothetical 10%?

As far as I know registered post is purely for security and unlike courier/express post offers no guarantee of delivery time. Sounds like she chose the wrong service. Hardly An Post's fault that you missed the gig?

No, it was entirely my friend's fault.

ClubMan, I have absolutely no doubt that you would be right in stating this for 90% of Ireland's failed deliveries, some people would just be lazy, obnoxious or just "cry babies". However, do you not think it would be cruel of An Post to generalise everyone (as you appear to have?) and dump the remaining 10% into the prior category just to make their life easier?

In fairness to An Post, that sounded like your arrogant boss's fault. Or you should have organised the tickets sooner?

I agree absolutely. I'm not blaming An Post, merely saying that registered post can be a pain and an inconvenience to the recipient. My boss was an idiot, and my friend found out quite near the gig that she couldn't use the tickets, so offered them to me. She could have sent them to work when she decided to use the registered system.

They're not - there are practical/pragmatic alternatives to going to the PO/sorting officein person in this case. These must cater for at least some of the remaining hypothetical 10%?
I was not enforcing my belief of it being a certain percentage, just pointing out that there have to be exceptions. I just randomely picked 90% to show i agree with you point that most people would be looking to complain, but not all.

Back