registered post

briancbyrne

Hi,
Ive recently had a few bits of registered post coming to my address which cannot be accepted as I live alone and am at work 9 - 5 mon - fri.

As a result the usuall ticket with details of the failed delivery is put throught the letterbox, stating I can collect it mon - fri during business hours at the local sorting office.

Problem is, unless i take time off work there is no way of collecting items within these time constraints.

Has anybody else had the same problem and come up with a solution?

I would rather not have personal items of post sent to my work.

Thanks

Has anybody else had the same problem and come up with a solution?
The collection docket allows the option of somebody collecting the item on your behalf if I recall correctly. You may need to sign it and provide them with ID or something like that.

I've often been in the same position myself with deliveries. Its ironic that when you order online its just "click" but when it comes to receiving the goods we're back to 19th century technology. Is there someone out there interested in opening 24 hour delivery depots? Or at least 8am to 8pm - maybe alongside late opening local shops?

Clubman is correct, you do not have to collect the item personally. Give the official notification to a friend or relative and they may collect and sign for you on production of satisfactory I.D. You can also contact the manager of the relevant post-office and he will endeavour to come up with a solution for you.

check the opening times, i always thought my local post depot would open at 9 but was surprised to find out it actually opens at 7:30, that's early enough for me to collect and go to work...

if theres a seperate sorting/delivery office ie not attached to a post office then the hours are usually more flexible. if its attached to a post office then its usually 9 -5.30 for security reasons.

i get all me stuff now delivered to work. even if i am not here the receptionist signs for it and puts it in my post tray. no more taking time off for me to go to the smelly sorting office.

The collection docket allows the option of somebody collecting the item on your behalf if I recall correctly.
Thats fine if friends/ relatives work outside normal 9-5.30 hours. If it was me I wouldn't have anyone to collect it for me as they all work during the day.

wavejumper said:
thought my local post depot would open at 9 but was surprised to find out it actually opens at 7:30
Again I have to leave my house at 7.30 to get to work for 9 so therefore thats not an option for every one.

I agree with the OP - one night a week for a delivery office to stay open till 8 or for a couple of hours on a Saturday morning would make a huge difference

As i said in a previous post above, in a situation like lochquinn ring the manager at the relevant post-office and an arrangement can be made. You will find he has encountered problems like this before and he will have several options, one of which will be suitable to you.

I wish - I did contact my delivery office when I missed the delivery of my wedding DVD and naturally i was quiet eager to get it as soon as I could.
When I rang them they didn't care - the hours are there for collection and it was up to me to try and collect it within the times or get someone to collect it for me within the specified times. In the end I had to leave work early to get there before it closed at half 5.

A suggestion: if it's a regular occurrence, have a word with your postman (I live in the country and my postman is nearly always the same guy) and arrange for him to either try someone else such as a neighbour, whom you know, to get them to sign for and take in the parcel or letter. I appreciate that this may not be an option for everyone though.

Anyone with the docket can collect - I do it all the time for work and have never been asked for id. Sorting offices work on Saturdays but are not open to the public. I had a dilemma once and when I rang to ask what my options were, they said "just come down on saturday love and we'll sort you out". I guess it just depends on getting the right person in the right mood.

Lochquinn was unfortunate - most managers will help as best they can but 'there is always one'. I suppose one can only speak about their own area. I know of people who had problem such as Lochquinn but the local manager always came up with an alternative.

Do you expect the banks to open late to suit you too? Do you always stay late for a customer coming to your business?

Do you expect the banks to open late to suit you too? Do you always stay late for a customer coming to your business?

having a bad day Rainy ? - Last time i looked the An Post was a public service - - therefore i think they should do more to serve the public - -after all our taxes have bailed out this service for long enough (if it were my companyand performed like it has done it would have been closed long ago )
I would have thought a moderator would keep thier comments constructive - but hey thats just me

I very rarely need to go to the bank - most of my banking I do online!!
Plus if I need to go to a bank I can go to any bank at lunch time.

However with a delivery office - parcels are left at the one nearest you home (postal address) which in my case is about an hours drive from where I work so not feasible to get to a lunch time!! So not quite the same as being able to go to the bank. Pardon me for making a suggestion that I thought might improve customer service!

Not sure if it applies everywhere but I know in Sligo the depot is open on Saturday mornings from 8-12 so maybe that would be an option for the poster.