Refused right to appeal

IThe Norma Cotter case in particular was a travesty of justice.
Nobody could be in any doubt that a husband who killed his wife in the circumstances in which Norma Cotter killed her husband would have been treated much more severely by the courts. To my mind, that is prima facie bias.
I agree; there was an element of premeditation as she went downstairs, got the gun, loaded it, went back upstairs and then shot her husband.
There is no way on earth a man would be acquitted of murder in the same circumstances.
Did the Judge say that Joe O’Reilly should get a lenient sentence because he has small children to look after? Indeed, will he ever get custody of his children again?
Is a woman who kills her husband with a shotgun after a drinking binge now regarded as a suitable parent?

It is interesting to note the difference in media reporting of female murder-suicide cases (tragedy/illness angle) and male murder-suicide cases (evil nasty father angle).

It is interesting to note the difference in media reporting of female murder-suicide cases (tragedy/illness angle) and male murder-suicide cases (evil nasty father angle).

Interesting thread. Can someone direct me to some examples of this difference in reporting ? I would have hoped (perhaps in vain) that the facts would prevent a news story straying too far from the truth.

Back