Refundable Deposit

R

rainyday

Did she take out insurance? What does the small print of the booking form say about cancellation? Where does it state that the deposit was 'refundable'?

Refundable Deposit?

Hi Rainyday,

I'm getting a copy of the booking form sent out in the post.

I meant to put 'refundable' with a question mark ? in the title, I doubt it said refundable on the booking form, in fact it may have said non-refundable, I'll wait until the form arrives to confirm.

However, surely "non-refundable" cannot be unforced due to unforeseen medical circumstances???

Yes, she took the insurance being offered by the travel agent, in that she ticked the form and agreed to take their insurance, however only the booking deposit had been paid at time of cancellation... the remainder of the balance (with insurance premium ?) would have been outstanding.

Hi,

My mother was booked on a Charter Tour, and paid a deposit to the holiday company.

She then took ill, and was advised by the doctor not to travel and to await a call up from the hospital for tests etc..

She advised the holiday company as soon as she knew (3 weeks before departure) that she could not travel.

They are refusing to pay back deposit.

Do she have a leg to stand on ? or is she entitled to her deposit back....a medical certificate can be supplied, and she told the holiday company this at the time she advised them she could not travel.

Any advise welcome.

Re: Refundable Deposit?

Hi Poker Novice - I'm not sure that it would be fair to expect a business to accept a loss arising from someone else's medical issues. Given the nation of chancers we live in (& I'm not directing this jibe at you or your friend), this would be hugely abused. It is really that hard to get a doctors note?

The fact that she took the insurance is probably her best bet. I'm not sure if the fact she hadn't paid the full amount will go against her. Get a copy of the insurance policy T&C's to check this out.

refundable deposit

hello
I work for a tour company and your mum is very lucky to have only paid a deposit, usually cancellations only 3 weeks before would incur cancellation fees of up to 65% or even 80% of the entire tour cost.
I can guarantee that the tour company won't refund it to ehr as they won't even have it themselves anymore, they have to pay airlines/accommodaiton deposits and they won't be refunded.
You will be able to claim on insurance but remember there will be an excess of anything up to 80 euro so check the policy.
Good luck

Back