Recommended websites for hotel bookings?

Daddy

A website featured a few months back where you could buy hotel accomodation normally 2 nights in major cities for reasonable sum.
As this is a very popular forum I could be all evening trying to locate it.
Thanks

Re: Cannot recollect the name ?

www.octypus.com are great. I've used them twice for hotel bookings in Brussels and offer a good choice of hotels and very keen prices.

This was'nt the crowd but will try thanks

http://www.venere.com (www.venere.com) is another possibility, with useful features like mapping, customer reviews and ratings, etc.

http://www.venere.com (www.venere.com) is another possibility, with useful features like mapping, customer reviews and ratings, etc.

These guys are excellent....I've used them loads of times. The descriptions are usually spot on an the reviews are real. Might not be right for the OP but well worth looking at for any of you planning breaks with Aer Lingus seat sales etc. (just remember to bring hand baggage only )

I've always found www.otel.com to be the best. Website easy to use, price they display always includes taxes, charges and 'hidden' extras and on more than one occasion I've been able to book particular hotels through them when other websites have said that there's no availability in the hotel.

http://www.venere.com (www.venere.com) is excellent. Does exactly as it says...........

I've renamed this thread more appropriately, with a view to incorporating some of the posts into the existing key post — hope that's OK with the OP?

Is it not www.octopustravel.com ? I've used them lots of times, no problem.
I used them a few times but will not do so again. You have to give them 3 days notice of any change and you will loose the entire payment if you do otherwise.
I tried to change a booking to the night before and the hotel were willing because they had rooms available but octupus would not entertain it as I was not giving the 3 days notice.
It is far more versatile to find your hotel using their site but then booking directly with the hotel.

I have used www.booking.com in the last two days to book hotels for a trip next weekend and for one in March. I found them very good value when comparing prices of the same hotels across sites. I crossed referenced with www.tripadvisor.ie for reviews. I'll let you know how I go next weekend with the first booking if you like.

I carried out a search for a double room for 2 nights b&b in a 4 star hotel for next month, in Ireland. These are the prices I came back with for a double standard room in the same hotel

roomexhotels €276
hotelclub €288
octopus €289
ebookers €289
activehotels 396
booking €396
hoteldiscount €442
hotel €442

But that list could be completely turned on it's head for a different hotel. So sometimes it is neccessary to check a number of different sites to get the best value on the particular hotel you are looking at.

is a brilliant site for getting reviews.

Uncorked,
certainly helps when deciding which hotel to book, but only after the overly glowing reviews by certain individuals(the hotel manager for instance!) have been ignored.
I think www.hotelscomparison.com covers most if not all of the sites you listed.

This is brilliant! Something new gained... I've used booking.com just recently and no problems there - searched most of the others mentioned, but didn't know about hotelscomparison, makes life much easier. Anyways, there's always priceline.com, wotif.com and hotwire.com - although the latter mostly works for US only. I've used priceline a good few times always with excellent results! There is also travelsupermarket.com, also works for flights (but better i guess is skyscanner.com, although that's only for flights)