recommendation of hotel in New York

thanks everyone for so many responses

i had wanted to travel in Dec. to get a "christmas" feel there

but looks like we'll have to travel in November - does anyone know when Thanksgiving is? - suppose I should avoid that time - would it be a bad time for shopping/sightseeing???

also, one more question - is Aer Lingus to JFK the best way to go -

return flights for 2 total cost €740 - is that good value??

Thanksgiving's the 4th Thursday in November. It's a bigger holiday than Christmas in the US. Shopping? the day after (Friday) is the biggest shopping day of the year in the US, plenty of sales etc., but v. busy everywhere. So plenty of bargains, but plenty of crowds to go with it: you take your choice. As for cost, you might find it cheaper to stay there that week-end, as it's very much a family holiday (i.e. people tend to go home rather than away). It's hard to say for definite though.

I was in New York at that time a couple of years ago: you'll certainly get a "Christmas" feel around that time (decorations etc., skating at Rockefeller centre etc.), but especially after Thanksgiving's over.

By the way, there's a big parade on Thanksgiving (run by Macys): well worth it if you've kids with you (and maybe even if you don't!).

but looks like we'll have to travel in November - does anyone know when Thanksgiving is? - suppose I should avoid that time - would it be a bad time for shopping/sightseeing???

I was there for Thanksgiving last year and enjoyed it. Most if not all of the shops were closed so we did the sightseeing thing that day which was handy. There was certainly a great buzz around the city. I think the hotels were a little bit more expensive but only marginally. The post Thanksgiving sales were great...some ridiculous bargains.
And €370 each (if that's all in) is pretty good.
In fact, see you then cause I'll be there the same time this year!

Try the Belvedere Hotel, its just off Times Square. Very nice hotel and very central. Rooms are huge. Stayed there two years ago and would definately go back to that hotel.

Stayed twice at the Milford Plaza in 05 + 06, good, clean, very central on 45th/8th very close to theatres and times square/c. park. Would go back again no problem

Stayed twice at the Milford Plaza in 05 + 06, good, clean, very central on 45th/8th very close to theatres and times square/c. park. Would go back again no problem

Review of the Milford Plaza from - The lobby at this hotel is constantly animated by a flow of visitors: airline flight crews, senior-citizen groups, harried businessmen and gawking tourists Many of the 1,300 rooms are smallish, but in recent years the chain has spruced up the atmosphere. While it doesn't necessarily offer a refined experience, the moderate rates and the convenient Times Square location make it more than a bearable choice---you could certainly do worse. Ask about special packages.

We were in New York last week, and stayed in two great places. The first was the Harlem Flophouse http://www.harlemflophouse.com/ a beautifully restored brownstone in Harlem. 140 dollars a night and the rooms are huge and spotlessly clean. Also very quiet at night if you get one of the rooms at the back.
The second place was Hotel QT - described as a 'budget boutique hotel'. [broken link removed]
Fantastic location - rooms were about 250 dollars a night for a decent sized room - the cheapest rooms are very small, apparently. Has a pool with pool bar, sauna and steamroom. DVD players and ipod docks in all the rooms.

I went one of the years in january- really xmas feel cos we got snow! got to do the sights but some are little to cold to do like going over to the statue of lib or ellis island, did the empire but by gd it was COLD! the flights and accomadation where pretty cheap then (we booked about 9 mths earlier) plus we got the sales. Also went september time - perfect weather to do everything! think November would be a great time cos shouldn't be as cold as january but it will still have a xmas fee cos the ice rink will be set up in rockafeller centre...

I was in New York last year for Thanksgiving, can't say I found it very 'Christmasy' though. I stayed at the Crowne Plaza at the UN where I got a rate of around $250 pn which was very reasonable considering the standard of the hotel but the location wasn't great.

The previous year I went in early November (found it a much nicer time of year) and stayed at the St James Hotel just off Times Square. The rooms are very basic but clean and the location is excellent.

If you're going for Thanksgiving be prepared for crowds and long queues at all the usual tourist attractions and in shops. Also, if you are planning a trip out of town, Woodbury Common etc, expect traffic delays on your way back into town. Even the drive from the airport can take a lot longer with all the holiday traffic.

If you are intend doing some Black Friday shopping plan where you want to go in advance as many of the sales start in the early hours of the morning and are over within a few hours.

I think that early December would be a nicer time to go. The shops will have all their Christmas displays and there should be a 'Christmas feel' without the crowds.

I would say thanksgiving is on Thurs 1st this year. We are goign on the 6th for 4 nights with Aer lingus to JFK. I am looking for a hotel between 200 & 300 euro

Shopping around thanksgiving should be excellent, most shops hold Thanksgiving sales.

I would say thanksgiving is on Thurs 1st this year. We are goign on the 6th for 4 nights with Aer lingus to JFK. I am looking for a hotel between 200 & 300 euro

I recommend the Grand Hyatt beside Grand Central Station...have stayed there a good few times. It's about $300 per night.

I decided to go in Jan rather than pre-XMas, and found it brilliant.
Choice of broadway shows, cheaper flights, and significantly cheaper hotel rates! In the first couple of weeks of Jan, the Xmas decorations are still up, and the sales have started.
It was really good for doing the tourist thing, little to no queueing required for the major sites.
We were also very fortunate with the weather, very cold and very clear, ideal walking weather for doing the tourist thing.
I know not everyone would consider it, but we liked it.

For hotels, we got excellent rates going via Hotwire.com and Priceline.com - you can get a reasonable idea of which hotel you may end up with by referencing betterbidding.com.

Back