Reclaiming tax from PRSA contributions

kelzer

I have been making contributions into an Eagle Star PRSA this year by direct contributions. I have recently changed my PRSA provider and am now making contributions from my gross salary. I am looking to know how to reclaim the tax from the government on the contributions made?

I presume that the direct contributions were via payroll so you got tax and PRSI/health contribution relief at source?

You need to write to Revenue with details of your contributions (e.g. copy of the PRSA1 certificate(s) in question) and maybe copies of P60s for the relevant year(s) if necessary asking them to grant you tax relief for previously paid contributions and relief for ongoing regular contributions by way of an adjustment to your tax credits going forward.

Once you have claimed tax relief you can then look at claiming PRSI/health contribution relief separately.

Claiming PRSI relief on standalone PRSA contribution

If so then you should be getting tax and PRSI/health contribution automatically "at source" with no need to claim it back manually or via tax credits - i.e. pension contributions deducted from gross before tax and PRSI are calculated on the remainder. What does your payslip say?

Payments were made directly by direct debit to my PRSA provider not from my gross wage but from my net wage..

Kelzer,

I was in a similar situation recently. The tax office advised me to just submit documentation from the pension company showing what contributions I had made and they would then give me back any tax relief I had missed. I'd recommend giving the tax office a call on 1890 333 425.

Payments were made directly by direct debit to my PRSA provider not from my gross wage but from my net wage..
Then you need to claim tax back manually as I outlined above and once you have done this claim the PRSI/health contribution relief.

Back