Receiving order from Amazon I didn't place

johnd

Just received an email From Amazon.co.uk thanking me for my order and telling me it has been dispatched. Only problem is I didn't order anything and none of ny family has either. I know I can reutrn it but I'm curious as to how this could have happened and how to prevent it happening again. I have been a customer for years and never had this problem before. I don't check my emails every day which is why I didn't spot the acknowledgement of my order before they posted it.

This could be a scam email (phishing scam to be precise) from a website posing as Amazon and trying to get you to log in to their website so that you give away your credentials.... and then they will be able to use your credit card details for their purchases.

Don't click any links in that email.
Don't enter a password or user name.

Instead go to Amazon.co.uk by yourself and check your account activity. Is an order there being dispatched to you? Probably not. And you probably won't get anything in the post either.

Feel free to forward the email to me if you want me to have a look at it, I would check what links are supplied and mail origin (use private message option). If you like.

D2x2
Did as you suggested but it is the genuine Amazon website, printed off order page. Book being posted to my home address so it cannot be a scam. Just wondering how this could happen?

Have you checked your paypal credit card account to see if money has been taken out ?why not email the sender .

something similiar happened to me last year with cdwow. I had something ordered, got confirmations etc. Few days later I got a email that something completely different to what I'd ordered was delayed. It was a geniune mistake by cdwow. Someone had just inputted an incorrect order number.

Back