Re:Is this true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scanner

Clubman,

This was not a troll/wind up.

I am simply trying to find out if I can reclaim the VAT back on any renovations to a property that was purchased for renting.

I have been told that you can as long as there is someone renting the property from you.

Closing threads because you dont like the way a question is phrased is poor.

I admit my first post was misleading and may have given the intention that I am trying to avoid paying tax, but this is not the case.

Rgds
Askaboutcash

Re: Is this true?

Closing threads because of assumptions, suspicions, being judgemental, jumping to conclusions, not liking the poster, the posters point of view, etc, is disgraceful.

Please engage with the poster before making hasty decisions.

A thread should only be closed if it has run its course and is repeating itself or has inappropriate postings.

C.

No matter what you feel about the moderator's opinion on closing the thread

You cannot reclaim VAT on rental property expenditure unless you charge VAT on the rent

If you purchase a property in need of renovation and register for VAT you will have to charge VAT on both any rent received and/or a subsequent sale which would be usually a stupid idea

It also does not matter whether there is a tennant or not

[email protected]

From your original post:
"if you get someone to pretend that they are renting the property from you as you are doing the renovations ?"

This does sound a bit fishy to me. Why would you have to "pretend" if you actually did have tenents?

Also, are you maybe enquiring about Tax Relief, rather than VAT?

Askaboutcash said:
Closing threads because you dont like the way a question is phrased is poor.
I admit my first post was misleading and may have given the intention that I am trying to avoid paying tax, but this is not the case.
As has been pointed out here and in the original thread your original post was blatantly asking for assistance/information on tax evasion. We have a zero tolerance policy on this here on AAM. We have spent significant time, energy and resources on combatting abuse of the board in recent months in order to maintain the generally high quality of the content. We do not have the time or inclination to deal with objections to every decision that we make. Most contributors are perfectly willing to abide by the posting guidelines and the general spirit of the board. Transgressions do sometimes happen but most people accept our decisions even if they don't always agree with them. Some people are polite enough to send a PM to acknowledge decisions (sometimes even if they still disagree) or to apologise for abuse. Our tolerance of nuisance and other posts in breach of the posting guidelines is extremely low and immediate action to deal with such problems has served us well and reduced the problems significantly in recent times. Anybody who doesn't like the policies around here are free to take their contributions to another board which is more permissive (e.g. boards.ie) or start their own. Repeated nuisance posts and challenges to moderation decisions will be dealt with through banning if deemed necessary.

cerberos said:
A thread should only be closed if it has run its course and is repeating itself or has inappropriate postings.
Requests for assistance/information on tax evasion are obviously inappropriate. This, and not any of the other issues that you mention, was the sole motiviation for the closure of the thread in question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back