Rathmines, Dublin City

WarrenBuffet

Hi,

I would appreciate if anyone could help me with some of these questions regarding Rathmines in Dublin:

1. The recycling centre in Rathmines - i have heard a number of rumours saying this is earmarked for development. Is anyone else aware of such a plan?

2. What do people think the general outlook is for Rathmines? Will it become the new Ranelagh or is it going to turn into a haven for fast food restaurants?

3. I saw at the Travelodge there is blue boarding - are they refurbishing the hotel or are more shops being developed at street level?

4. People who live in Rathmines – would they typically be renters or owner occupiers, students or young professionals….

Thanks for any help,
WB

WarrenBuffet said:
3. I saw at the Travelodge there is blue boarding - are they refurbishing the hotel or are more shops being developed at street level?]

It's going to be an Aldi, not sure when it's opening, think it's fairly soon.

WarrenBuffet said:
4. People who live in Rathmines – would they typically be renters or owner occupiers, students or young professionals….[/FONT][/COLOR]

Thanks for any help,
WB

It's very mixed. A lot of the "flatland" houses are now being reconverted back into owner occupied family homes. Lots of young (and not so young) professionals renting too as well as students. And there are still areas with a more elderly population too.

Am glad i asked the question about the blue boarding at the Travelodge - thanks Janet! The estate agent surprisingly failed to mention to me that an Aldi was going in there!!!!

Would be interested to hear whether people would think an Aldi pretty much next door to where you live would increase or decrease house prices???? I am leaning towards the negative but am i being a snob?

Surely it's a case of a supermarket being next door? I don't see why it matters that it's an Aldi in particular. I would imagine that there could be some potential impact from living next door to any supermarket (litter, traffic/parking, passing foot/vehicular traffic etc.).

Personnally I think I'd prefer to have a supermarket beside me than a big late night bar, which is what it used to be.

I'm glad they're putting an Aldi there. Dunnes Stores in the swan centre are absolutely atrocious. The quality of the food is miserable (rotting veg etc). Tesco is just a whee bit too far up and hasn't got that much choice, so i think it's a good thing.
Furthermore, they are going to completely revamp the swimming pool, they're building something completely new and fancy including appartments, so that alone will drive the price up. I've also at some stage heard that the swan centre might be extended to get a cinema, but that's hearsay, so I'm not sure, whereas i got a postal brochure about the pool redevelopment, so that I'm sure about.
otherwise it's a good area and has everything you need. The bus service is really good and people are generally friendly. I think there's a right mix between owners and tenants, of which probably half are professionals and half are students.
Hope that helps.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply Petal.

Have you heard a rumour that the recycling centre is due to be redeveloped also?

No haven't heard anything about that and can't imagine why it would, it's the only one in the wider area.

You can search for planning applications by map on the Dublin City Council site:

[broken link removed]

An excellent, but addictive resource!

Circle

I am leaning towards the negative but am i being a snob?
I'm leaning towards the fact that you are. I amazed at the amount of people in Rathmines who see this negatively (that it's specifically an Aldi) but they are snobs.

Just be careful - rathmines is mostly flatlanders/students - we rented several apts (in houses) & noise levels next door very bad! Generally a haeven for students but good access to city. Ranelagh is far nicer

I live in Rathmines and I have none of the above problems. I live behind the swan centre, i think most places there are occupied by owners, lots of families and there's constantly cottages and houses for sale.
Ranelagh (apart from the Luas) isn't great for transport, the buses are a nightmare!

A friend has been living in Rathmines since childhood - 30+ years. Used to have only two other family-owned houses on the road, rest flats. Now mostly owner occupied. Used to be loads of parking, now 2 large cars per house, sometimes more. Yes the Swan Centre is developing a multi-screen cinema, and yes the swimming pool area will be redeveloped with the houses (Herman White's) being knocked down also the existing swimming pool and being replaced by leisure centre and apartment complex. Parking will get much worse as the Swan isn't increasing its parking area. Lived there in flats myself and it's amazing the difference between the owner-occupiers and the flat-dwellers experience of the area.

ooops! meant to say that because of its location, status and amenities, it'd take more than an Aldi to reduce house prices........the drug clinic didn't impact on values either!

Back