Rathdrum or Arklow

K

kerdub

DH and I are househunting in Wicklow at present. I like Arklow but DH likes the Rathdrum area. We would both be commuting to Sandyford. Can anyone compare and contrast the two. We have a son who is 3, so I'm always looking at what would be best, safest, more interesting for him. Thanks.

We moved to Rathdrum in July last and it has worked out really well, have 2 kids (3 and 8 months), I commute to Glenageary and it takes 40 mins consistently, Arklow would take a bit longer and is further, Rathdrum is very safe but as would come with that is very quiet, people are very friendly, no hassle at all from anyone yet.

Much more to do in Arklow in fairness though, its 20 mins from rathdrum in the car.

Arklow has far more in the way of amenities and is also by the sea which is a big plus for a lot of people, the roads to Dublin would also be better. On the other hand it is more built up so would have more of the social problems associated with similar sized Irish towns eg crime, drugs etc. Rathdrum is more rural so if you look for the quite life it might be the better option.

I've been living in Arklow for just over a year now. Nice Neighbours, and theirs been no trouble. Some of the kids are a bit cheeky but thats as far as it goes really.

Their are a couple of council estates really close by, but I haven't noticed any problems.

Thanks to everyone for their replies. We seem to be trying to strike a balance between proximity to Dublin, value for money, second-hand home with 'character', nice neighbourhood and somehow it is proving quite difficult. Obviously I'd like to be closer to Dublin than Arklow, but the nearer we get, the smaller and more expensive the house.
Estate agents are so unhelpful - even now when there is a downturn in the market they really couldn't be bothered. Also I wish they would take sold properties off websites. It is so annoying trawling through pages of houses to find out the ones you like are gone.

We moved to Rathdrum in July last and it has worked out really well, have 2 kids (3 and 8 months), I commute to Glenageary and it takes 40 mins consistently, Arklow would take a bit longer and is further, Rathdrum is very safe but as would come with that is very quiet, people are very friendly, no hassle at all from anyone yet.

Much more to do in Arklow in fairness though, its 20 mins from rathdrum in the car.

40 Mins? Who are you kidding. Rathdrum is far less built up than Arklow but would have less amenities. It really depends on what your after.

I was being conservative - it can be done in 35 mins, work it out its 30 miles. - average about 60 mph or under

I think they mean one child at 3 years and the other at 8 months - not two kids at 3 months and 8 months !

Rathdrum is a typical village with very little amenities. I dont think there is a secondary school in the village. On the other hand it is a friendly close cummunity with a rail link. Really depends what you want. Perhaps you should rent a place for a month or two before making the jump.

Rathdrum
2 primary Schools , and newly extended Community College.
Several Pubs
2 supermarkets
both churches
garadi station
railway station
bus route
chipper
2 estate agents( always a good sign)
Chinese takeaway
2 bookies
one of the best restaurants in Wicklow( Bates)
one of the best pub grubs as well.
hardware shops
clothes shops
3 car dealerships
more sports clubs than I can list( all codes)
minutes form the mountains
25 mins form the sea

30 mins form the Shankill roundabout
20mins form Arklow
10 mins Aughrim
15mins Laragh

and I dont even live there!( but close), plenty in Rathdrum.

Arklow obviously a much bigger town, my impression is that a lot of Wicklow people moved to Arklow, selling up in Rathnew/Wicklow town.
Doesnt seem to have been a huge influx of Dubs, certainly less than Gorey
all the big supermarkets( one of the biggest Tesco’s)
many pubs
small number of resturants
plenty of sports clubs
Bridgewater centre( including cinema)
Railway, bus all there

By pass , but still traffic in town several primary schools, plus girls secondary, and CBS

If u need peope around you Arklow, if you like semi rural living Rathdrum

I'd say it takes alot longer to drive into the city centre in particular if you're getting in for 9, my friend drives into Stephens green for 9am and leaves Bray at 7.45 so you're talking an extra 20-30mins from Rathdrum. There is a train though that passes through, I'd say it leaves Rathdrum around 7.20 or so. If you're in work at 8am I'd say it would take an hour.

Sorry just saw you said you'd be driving to Sandyford probably an hours commute, depending on traffic of course

I always give time to Shankill roundabout, and it rarely differs by more that a few minutes, after that!!! Its in the lap of the Gods.

has taken 90mins to Airport from rathdrum at a weekend cross city, and has taken 2.5 hours to Drumcondra, but different subject really Dublin traffic.

I now live in South Wicklow, 12mins from Office!!!

Last edited:
Arklow v Rathdrum, they are so different, so difficult to compare... Kerak sums it up really.

What struck me about your post, and what may be the crux of the issue is

Obviously I'd like to be closer to Dublin than Arklow, but the nearer we get, the smaller and more expensive the house.

Why do you want to be closer to Dublin?

Work/commute - it really is much of a muchness between Arklow and Rathdrum
Proximity to family/friends - see above
Access to the "buzz" of city living - you are better off in a town than village

Personally, I don't like Rathdrum, and it does have a bit of a, ahem, reputation (much like Rathnew, deserved or not, it is there).

We moved to Rathdrum last May and we are very happy with our descision. As Kerac says the amenities are fantastic, my 6 year old son is involved is so much and loves it and the boys school is fantastic. I have my 2 year old in playschool in the local creche and it's great, she loves it. It's very quiet but there is a fab resturant and a good few pubs. I have only been in one since we moved!. I kept my job in the city centre for the first few months but got sick of the long days away from the kids so quit in Aug and now work part time 20 mins up the road. Hubbie works in town, drives to Sandyford and gets the Luas into town. It's 45 mins to Sandyford.
I personally do not like Arklow. Each to their own though. Every town & village in Ireland has it's "rough" element.
Rathdrum is a lovely place to live, nice young families & couples where we are, plenty of nice walks at the weekends. I was very nervous about taking the plunge and moving far away from town etc but it's fine and the train is handy to, plus we are 20 mins from the N11 anyway.
I would recommend it anyway!.

Back