Radiator is warm at the inlet valve but cold everywhere else

Este02

Hi, not sure if im on correct thread, my radiator is warm at the inlet valve but cold everywhere else, tried bleeding but water comes out straight away?

Not hugely knowledgeable in this area, but two possibilities based on my own investigations:

- Gunk blocking warm water
- Radiators need balancing

For the gunk, best thing to do is turn off all other radiators and turn on heating, try to get hot water to flush it through.

Doing that will also answer your second question - if the rad gets very hot, its possible the rad is one of the last ones on the circuit and isnt getting enough hot water from the boiler, and the last heat is just cooling once it gets inside. Balancing is done via the front valves on the rads, not by the manual TRVs you turn your rads up and down on. Prob best to get a plumber who know what theyre doing to have a go at that

Hi Est02. Couple of questions.
1. Are the other rads working normally?
2. What sort of valve do you have on the radiator? Is it a TRV or just a wind up/down type?
3. How old is the system? New build? 60 year old cottage that hasn't been changed?

Likely air in the rad. Do you have a bleed key to open the little valve at the top of the rad itself?

Likely air in the rad. Do you have a bleed key to open the little valve at the top of the rad itself?
Hi Leo,
OP said they tried to bleed but water came out straight away, therefore not air in the rad.

If you do have a TRV on/off, probably that's the culprit. You can take it off by screwing it and there should be a little brass bit that will go up & down when you push it. You could try to push it up & down and then put the TRV back on. Turn it on fully. Switch off all the other rads except this one. Sometimes it will kick the TRV into working again. TRV's are temperamental things. There's Youtube clips that show the above better than I can explain it, but it sorted my dodgy TRV out!

Before doing any of the above, just make sure that the valve (if fitted) on the other side of the rad. (return) is in fact open.

Any time that has happened me it was either air in the system requiring a bleeding of the thermostat had jammed. I found if I unscrewed the top of the thermostat there was a little "knob" underneath it which was jammed in the down position and once I pulled it up by about half a centimeter using a pliers, it worked fine. I only learned that trick after paying a plumber to come out and fix the issue for me, took him 30 seconds and cost me €80

Back