Quick query about illness benefit tax

PoundMan

Hi folks, I work for a local authority and was recently off on certified sick leave for 5 days.
When I returned to the office I was asked by HR to complete a 'Return to Work' form and a 'Supplementary Sick Pay Scheme' application form.
Now in my most recent pay slip, I noticed I was paid less than my usual fortnightly salary. Upon closer inspection, I can see €110 for 'DEASP TAXABLE IB' was deducted from my gross earnings. When I asked HR about this they said this illness benefit deduction that is taken from staff when they are on certified sick leave, but they said I can claim the illness benefit from Social Welfare and get it paid to my bank account to make up the difference that was deducted from my salary. They said I can either claim the illness benefit online or get an IB1 form at my GP’s office and post it directly to the Dept. of Social Protection.

Does anyone know how I go about claiming back the €110 online? I've never had to do this before, I'm assuming it only happens when you are off sick for more than a certain number of days? I'm accustomed to working in UK public sector where things must be a little more forgiving in terms of sick leave as staff could take up to 5 consecutive days uncertified before a doctors cert was required.

Here's how to claim illness benefit

Normally, you need a medical certificate for more than 2 days absence - check your staff booklet or with HR to see what applies to your situation.

Just wondering if it is all worth the bother when the first 3 days are excluded. If you could take 2 days holidays it would be a lot easier than opening a claim on MyGov and Social Welfare then notify Revenue about the payment who will make an adjustment to your tax also. I would certainly consider it too much hassle if I could slot the 2 days hols in instead. Your company probably pay you for the first 2 or 3 days on their sick pay policy. You could check with your HR Dept to see if this is the case and if the option is still open to you to revert.

How to qualify for Illness Benefit​

To qualify for Illness Benefit, you must:
  • Be aged under 66
  • Be medically certified as unfit for work by a medical doctor (GP).
  • Have enough social insurance (PRSI) contributions – see below.
  • Apply within 6 weeks of becoming ill.
There is no payment for the first 3 days of illness. These are known as ‘waiting days’ (Sunday is not counted as a waiting day.) There are no waiting days if you were getting certain other social welfare payments within 3 days of the start of your illness.

You can claim illness benfit on Mygov.ie but the claim has to go in within 6 weeks of the illness. As you were certified your GP will most likely have sent a copy of your sick cert to the social welfare so the process on Mygov.ie is relatively simple.

Last edited:
I went ahead and submitted online through MyWelfare.ie but I was surprised that they didn't ask me what date I returned to work, but only asked me what date I was first sick from. They also didn't ask me for my GP info, or to upload a copy of my sick cert. Perhaps this will all come at a later stage in the process.

The last time I needed certified sick leave, the GP submitted information online - as well as me doing the online claim.

The last time I needed certified sick leave, the GP submitted information online - as well as me doing the online claim.
That's the only way that SW deal with it these days as far as I know. The GP has to submit certification of incapacity for work electronically to them.

Back