Health Insurance Question re 14 day cooling-off period

peking97

If, during the cooling-off period, I either change plan or change insurer does the new plan automatically backdate to the beginning of the cooling-off period?
My plan auto-renewed on Jan 1st but if I were to change now to either a different VHI Plan or indeed to a different insurer would there be an uninsured period from Jan 1st to the date of commencement of the new policy or would there be an automatic backdating to Jan 1st?

This might become significant as my wife presented to our local GP on 5th Jan and there will be follow-up assessment/treatment required. (I’m not even sure that my current insurer would provide cover even if there was no break in cover).

Your new policy would be back-dated to 1st Jan 2015 - ie renewal date - regardless of what company you choose.

An example often quoted as follows; Even if you are admitted to hospital for surgery and your operation date just also happens to
be your renewal date, you can change to a new plan with a different company on the day and the new provider will pay the surgery costs. Its just the way health insurance works.

Why do you think your current insurer would not provide cover? Once your wife has served initial waiting times when you both
originally took out health insurance, or if you haven't upgraded in recent years, or there are no waiting times still to be served for
any pre-existing conditions, there shouldn't be a problem. You can check it out with VHI regarding what she is covered for in relation
to this issue and ask what alternative plans are worth considering, if any, at better prices, without compromising on hospital cover etc.
You can also do likewise with other providers before making a decision.

Snowyb

Thanks Snowyb for the clarification. It's reassuring to know that.
The reason I'm not sure they will cover treatment is that there was a cosmetic element to the original surgery which was carried out some 27 years ago and there was no involvement of VHI in it. As far as I can remember we didn't even consult them at the time, just paid privately.
Now that a complication has developed I doubt they would cover treatment. Maybe I'm wrong but I always assume that insurance companies will always look for a reason to avoid paying out!

As its a specific medical query, you can discuss this in detail with VHI asking what their position is in relation to her current position
regarding cover for possible impending surgery or treatment giving a brief history of same. Then you will know where you stand before hand and can make better decisions in relation to this. Its always worth finding out to clarify things one way or the other, its not
always a negative reponse.

Regards, Snowyb

Back