Question for Landlords

ice

Hi

If a tennat allows their grass to become very overgrown and neighbours are complaining can the landlord insist on cutting the grass even if the tennant is akward and does not want the grass cut?

Thanks

ice said:
Hi

If a tennat allows their grass to become very overgrown and neighbours are complaining can the landlord insist on cutting the grass even if the tennant is akward and does not want the grass cut?

Thanks

I thought normally the landlord took care of grass cutting anyway?

What does the lease say? If it says the landlord is responsible then I imagine he can just go ahead and do it. If the tenant is responsible then by failing to do it he is in breach of his lease.

i would imagine if no lease exists or it does not mention the grass in the lease, the landlord should notifiy the tennant of a visit to undertake repairs & maintanence of the property inlcuding which would include cutting the grass,

Just a matter of interest why does the tennant want the grass left long?

thanks for the replies

Deem, this man is a plauge (we are his neighbours)....hes harrased us for the last 2 years (nasty anon. letters, taking photos of our kids etc)but there is not much the police can do. The grass is growing over our wall and it didn't bother me until we spotted mice in the garden...well acutally the cat jumping out of his garden with a dead mouse in its mouth :eek:

got onto environmental health and they said he(the nasty neighbour)says he can have his grass a long as he wants and will take it to court rather than cut his grass. Env. health said I need proof to proceed...ie pictures etc as it wouldn't stand up in court...

I thought an easier way would be to contact the landlord and see if he'd do something......just wanted to know what the legal standpoint was...

if you are the landlord of a mid terrace house with no rear access do you have the right to enter the house in order to get out the back to cut the grass in the garden?

ice said:
hes harrased us for the last 2 years (nasty anon. letters, taking photos of our kids etc)but there is not much the police can do.

Did the police say that? He`s taking photos of your kids? March up to the police station and demand something be done.

the landlord may not necessarily gain access to a property

STATEMENT OF INFORMATION REQUIRED UNDER THEHOUSING (RENT BOOKS) REGULATIONS, 1993

The tenant of a house is, unless otherwise expressly provided for in a Lease, entitled to quiet and peaceable enjoyment of the house without the interruption of the Landlord or any other person during the term of the tenancy for so long as the tenant pays the rent and observes the terms of the tenancy.

however this is also a standard clause in a lease:

To keep the gardens, patios and terraces (if any) including all driveways, pathways, lawns, hedges, landscaping, ornamental features including water features neat, tidy and properly tended at all times and not remove any trees or plants.

usually there is a provision in a lease for a landlord to gain access to a property for the purpose of doing an inspection, but only at "any reasonable time and only by prior appointment" usually 24 hours notice

Failing all the above, you could buy some Round-Up from B&Q or Woodies and spray it over the fence on a calm night....it will kill the grass in a couple of days. Do it in the dark and he won't know what happened. Just mind that the wind doesn't blow it back into your garden!

daveco23 said:
Did the police say that? He`s taking photos of your kids? March up to the police station and demand something be done.

They said there is nothing illegal about taking the photos so therefore nothing they can do.
They did say they could have a word with him but they felt if would make the situation worse........

I like your style fandango1 :D

Back