Query re price of Delta flights

Sim Two

Just noticed that the price of a return flight from Dublin - Atlanta for 1 person with Delta in March 2008 is c. €870.

However, the price per person rises to €2,981.40 for the same flight if you request a price for 7 people.

Anyone know why?

Possibly they only have 1 left at the 870 price. Airlines sell seats on flights at different prices. Eg. The first 10 seats sold may cost X, while the next 10 may be 2X, the next ten being 3X and so on......

Even the price for one person sounds crazy, we fly with Delta through Atlantas a lot and wouldn't expect to pay more than €420 return for Dub-Atl-Chicago or New York.

We almost always find that we get a better price and/or connections from Delta on the phone than online. Try and time your call so you get the US call centre rather than the Indian one, it makes a difference!

Shesells

Do you have the phone number for the Delta call centre and what time would you suggest for ringing to get through to the US?

Sim

1850 882031 or 01 4073165

I would recommend calling between 6 and 10pm

One other thing that strikes me is that you may be pricing the flights too soon? Even when we've gone last minute (for a funeral) Dublin-Atlanta-Chicago cost under €600 pp and that was with 3 days notice, in March last year.

Thanks for the replies.

I always thought that the earlier you book the better chance you had of securing a cheap seat - given that we will be travelling around Easter '08, I don't think the flights are going to get any cheaper.

Have tried ebookers and flights with Delta are cheaper there than on the Delta website.

Club Travel have some good prices although not always on a direct flight. Will have to take a closer look

Definitely expenisve; I am flying to Las Vegas (Dub-JFK-LAS-ATL-DUB) later in the year and it cost me €590 including taxes. However, this was after twiddling around the dates and routes. For example, if I flew via JFK on the way home on the same day, it would have cost me €780 rather than the above when flying home via Atlanta.

Sometimes the cheapest price may route you through Paris CDG which is a bit out of the way but it could save you a lot of money if you don't mind the hassle.

If you are flexible with your dates and don't mind where you connect, you should get a decent price.

Have tried ebookers and flights with Delta are cheaper there than on the Delta website.

Yes this is is possibly be true at times, but when I was booking the above flights, the prices were exactly the same.

Back