Purchasing an ETF

dice

I wish to purchase a number of ETFs that track a number of indexes but am running into trouble selecting the funds and a broker that deals in them.

Problem 1 - I keep coming up against funds where their information websites say you have to be domiciled in the UK, switzerland, france, US etc - this is the case for iShares and Lyxor for example - and yet both of these providers are mentioned in AAM, as an Irish resident am I ok to purchase these or not?

Problem 2 - I have a TD Waterhouse account (which I may switch soon) and am finding it impossible to identify index tracking ETFs with it (actually by random luck I just found a japanese one - so they are there). Can anyone point out a straightforward good method to research/identify index tracking ETFs, I have spent a good few hours looking today but I guess I need tips on where to look and what for.

Also is there an online broker that anyone has found particularly good for dealing with ETFs. I notice that keytrade have tracker funds specifically listed on their products page, can anyone tell me if their interface makes it easy to identify them and if they have a good range on offer.

Regards,
D

Can buy IShares ETFs on http://www.keytrade.com

You can buy them no problem, but have to look after your own tax .

Don,t understand the last question, do you not use a ticker to purchase an ETF ???

Just tell the ishares sites (UK or US) that you're resident in either country when you're logging on.

All the information you need is there to find the tickers or sedols necessary to identify them in your trading account.

You can be resident in Ireland to buy these - no issues there.

Don't forget there are other ETF providers as well - Lyxor, Proshares, Vangard and a few others. Google can help there.

Don,t understand the last question, do you not use a ticker to purchase an ETF ???

Yes. My problem is that I am a complete beginner - how can I find for example a ticker for an ETF that will track the main chinese stock exchange. I need a pointer to somewhere that would give a good top down indication of all global markets I guess... a starting point, I can for example do a web search and then guess that I should be looking for something that tracks either Shanghai, Shenzhen or Hong Kong, but this approach isn't getting me far and is extremely time consuming.

Don't forget there are other ETF providers as well - Lyxor, Proshares, Vangard and a few others.

Thanks for those names. Though I think Yahoo seems to be more helpful with regard to finance unless you know exactly what you're looking for.

Back