Public Toilets

If you travel on the new road between Athlone and Dublin — now with all the towns bypassed (thankfully) — there are no service areas at all unless you divert off the route. When the new route was being built, the National Roads Authority should have been obliged to provide service areas at various intervals. There are a few lay-bys but no toilet facilities or nowhere you can even stop for a cuppa. This is disgraceful.

I think the NRA announced a few years back that they designed the roads without services as these were seen as one of the primary accidents points, I guess they were really trying to get people to exit for the nearest town and do the business there.

I think the morotways in France are great lots of rest areas and playgrounds for the kids, we really need to follow their lead.

I fully agree with all the senidments expressed about the lack of facilities on our main routes..

Even in our towns and cities there is a lack of public toilets.

Down again to our local authorities.

There's a great garage on the way into Mountrath on the Dublin side before the bend in the road into the town. It has a fab deli, toilets and showers! Don't know how long it will stay that way but it was spotless the last time we stopped.

This has now become my stop of choice on the way home via Limerick, beats the socks off McDonalds in Roscrea. Incidentally there are also toilets in the Tesco shopping centre in Roscrea if you care to detour from the N7 for a few mins.

Stopped in exactly this spot on our way down from Dublin 2 weeks ago and was pleasantly suprised at how clean they were and what good services they offered. More of these are needed on all the main routes. Would never use public loos (other than shopping centres) as would imagine they are dodgy. We stopped at this service station on a Saturday afternoon and they were doing a very brisk trade so obviously it is paying.

Could ye all not just climb over a gate as we used to do in our yuff?

I'd say from my own experience that you'll (usually) never find a cleaner loo than on the German Autobahn.

Some local authorities in the UK pay some pubs/restaurants a fee per annum (something like £500) to make their loos available to the general public. There is a little sign outside the premises to indicate this.

I guess this addresses some of the problems that can arise with unsupervised loos.

Back