Public sector pay freeze for top 40,000 public servants announced

Bottom line is that yes about 20% of private sector workers could consider themselves to have pensions in line with what's payable in the public service.

Do you know what percentage of full time permanent PAYE workers have these pensions?

Remember that a large percentage of the work force are either self employed (and so responsible for their own pensions) or temporary part time workers. We should be comparing like with like.

Why are we even having this discussion? If private sector workers are getting DB pensions, it is because their employers can afford them. Bottom line is Ireland as an employer of public sector workers cannot afford gold-plated pensions for its employees - and certainly not at the expense of taxing those who may have lesser pensions and/or are seeing a reduction in their employer's ability to keep their pension scheme going.

Bravo on the obfuscation once again though.

Nice one, throw in bankers to distract the situation.

There are a small minority of workers in the private sector whose initial pensions on retirement exceed those enjoyed by the majority of public servants. I have come across no private sector employees whose pensions are incremented in line with the salaries of those in their old position.

In any case the minority of private pensions are funded by the shareholders of these companies (except for cases like Anglo where the government has foolishly stepped in, but that is beside the point).

Your previous posts have had glaring factual inaccuracies in an effort to distort the true picture.

As a nation of tax payers the impact on our pockets of excessively generous public sector pensions that are linked to salary inflation DWARFS any envy that might exist towards a small number of privately funded pension schemes
"Glaring factual inaccuracies "
I immediately admitted to being wrong about bankers receiving 3/4 of their final salary on retirement , it's actually 2/3 rds - a mistake on my part, not an effort to distort the picture.
Care to point out any other inaccuracies in my previous posts ?

"Glaring factual inaccuracies "
I immediately admitted to being wrong about bankers receiving 3/4 of their final salary on retirement , it's actually 2/3 rds - a mistake on my part, not an effort to distort the picture.
Care to point out any other inaccuracies in my previous posts ?

Yeah, it's quite inaccurate to say that a 2/3rds pension linked to CPI is by far better than a 50% pension linked to salary inflation

Bravo on the obfuscation once again though.

Absolutely correct. I find myself making the same points to the same people on this subject.

If these costly pensions are not appreciated (and they are not because most people have no comprehension of future demographics) then they should be replaced with something less costly that will be appreciated more

Why are we even having this discussion? If private sector workers are getting DB pensions, it is because their employers can afford them. Bottom line is Ireland as an employer of public sector workers cannot afford gold-plated pensions for its employees - and certainly not at the expense of taxing those who may have lesser pensions and/or are seeing a reduction in their employer's ability to keep their pension scheme going.

Very good point!

I think for the benefit of some of the 'sentinels of the service' it's worth quoting some of DerKaiser's link though:

"Public servants are generally entitled to retire on a full Defined Benefit pension (calculated at half of the average annual salary over the final three years of service), after 40 years’ service, together with a lump sum of up to one-and-a-half times the final salary. Employees may retire after reaching the age of 60 (the compulsory retirement age is 65), with​
pro rata reductions for those with fewer than 40 years’ service, although those retiring between the ages of 50 and 60 incur an ‘actuarial reduction’ to reflect the longer retirement period. (The key benefit of the recently-introduceIncentivised Scheme for Early Retirement is that it eliminates the actuarial reduction for this age group.)

After retirement, it has been the practice to index pension rates in line with earnings, which carries a very high actuarial cost and is not generally available in the private sector.

In addition to the basic public service pension system, the Group notes the existence of a range ofaccelerated / ‘added years’ arrangements across various areas of the public service. These accelerated arrangements are more costly to the Exchequer, and their existence and budgetary implications do not appear to be widely known or appreciated by the general public. For example,Gardaí are free to retire on full pension at the age of 50 (an effective 10 years’ added service on the assumption of an entry age of 20); some engineers, who might enter the public service at the age of 35, would accrue full pension entitlements at age 65 (again an effective 10 added years); teachers with 35 years service are eligible to retire from age 55 on; some hospital consultants may be entitled to up to 10 added years of service; and a High Court judge, who might typically be appointed to the bench at 50 years of age, is entitled to full pension at age 65 (an effective 25 added years). Accelerated accrual terms also apply in certain top-level public sector posts although it must be said similar pension arrangements at these levels can apply in the private sector.

Given the above arrangements, the Group observes that the annual cost of purchasing similar pension arrangements (including the earnings-linking of pension benefits) in the private sector would be very high indeed: ranging from around 27% of annual salary in the case of a typical civil servant employed prior to 2004 to 31% for a teacher entitled to retire at age 55; 33% for a hospital consultant; 48% in the case of a Garda member; and as high as 87% of annual salary in the case of a High Court judge. The cost of providing similar benefits in a Defined Contribution arrangement, which is more generally applicable in the private sector, would be significantly higher in all cases. "

Given the above arrangements, the Group observes that the annual cost of purchasing similar pension arrangements (including the earnings-linking of pension benefits) in the private sector would be very high indeed: ranging from around 27% of annual salary in the case of a typical civil servant employed prior to 2004 to 31% for a teacher entitled to retire at age 55; 33% for a hospital consultant; 48% in the case of a Garda member; and as high as 87% of annual salary in the case of a High Court judge. The cost of providing similar benefits in a Defined Contribution arrangement, which is more generally applicable in the private sector, would be significantly higher in all cases. "

Good to see an official report agrees with some of my figures.

PS salaries are inclusive of SW. This report is saying that a civil servants salary needs a 27% contribution, a teachers 31 % etc.

Lets look at what they contribute inclusive of SW:

Pension contribution: 6.5%
Pension Levy: 7.5%
Employee PRSI: 6%
Employer PRSI: 10:75%
TOTAL: 30.75%

So this report is essentially saying that the full cost of most public service pensions IS covered by the contributions that are currently being made to the "funds" that pay the pension.

Most private sector pensions include an employers contribution (in addition to the employers PRSI contribution). If you were to include a notional employers contribution of similar percentage to the average private sector pension, then the Government is actually profiting from PS pensions.

I know people are going to bring up the PRSI argument, but you cant have it both ways. PS pensions include PRSI benefits full stop, so you have to include a public servant's PRSI contribution towards this portion of the pension in any calculations.

PS salaries are inclusive of SW. This report is saying that a civil servants salary needs a 27% contribution, a teachers 31 % etc.

So this report is essentially saying that the full cost of most public service pensions IS covered by the contributions that are currently being made to the "funds" that pay the pension.

Most private sector pensions include an employers contribution (in addition to the employers PRSI contribution). If you were to include a notional employers contribution of similar percentage to the average private sector pension, then the Government is actually profiting from PS pensions.

I know people are going to bring up the PRSI argument, but you cant have it both ways. PS pensions include PRSI benefits full stop, so you have to include a public servant's PRSI contribution towards this portion of the pension in any calculations.

So you are basically arguing that public sector pensions are pretty much fully funded? Even if you were to ringfence the pension contributions and pension levy (I am not including the PRSI) into a pension fund and then looked at the liabilities of the public sector pension fund. What do you think you would see?

Wait a minute - unless I've completely misunderstood, is the report not saying that if the same level of pension/benefits were to be purchased in the private sector this is what it would cost these people?

So you are basically arguing that public sector pensions are pretty much fully funded? Even if you were to ringfence the pension contributions and pension levy (I am not including the PRSI) into a pension fund and then looked at the liabilities of the public sector pension fund. What do you think you would see?

Yes, I've been advocating this approach on this forum for months now. The Public Service should have a ring fenced pension fund that is self funding. I am a firm believer in everyone being responsible for providing for themselves.

I once asked a pensions expert from the public service why this isnt done. The answer he gave me is because the Government is using todays employees pension contribution to pay the pensions of employees of previous generations i.e. todays pensioners. If the Government were to place the contributions in a ring fenced pension fund, then they would not have the money to pay todays pensioners. He did admit that this is storing up a huge problem for the future in that there is no money being put aside for current employees pensions, but Government never think beyond the next election, so they dont really care - problem will be someone elses in the future. Having a ring fenced pension fund would also raise the issue of an employers contribution which would cost even more money.

The Government is quite happy to see the current public service pension bashing going on in the media and has made no effort to correct the mis conceptions being spread (media usually conveniently omit that public service pensions are coordinated with SW and inclusive of SW and when comparing with private sector usually use a SW inclusive pension (i.e. "50%") for public servants and SW exclusive for private sector workers). Public servants are a convenient target for raising money in a recession. They are generally placid and conforming. While they may grumble or go on the odd 1 day strike, they will never bring the country to a standstill in the way that farmers, taxi drivers etc. would if face with similar cuts.

As was stated before you shouldn't include PRSI as all PAYE employees pay this. So you should probably compare the 14% to the amount of pension in excess of the OAP.

That said it is a bit pointless to focus in on pensions without looking at the entire remuneration package, the bigger questions are:

1 What can we afford to pay
2 What should we pay

In respect of point 2 I'd suggest an objective analysis against the remuneration packages in other countries.

An alternative would be a benchmarking process where job security, the true economic value of pension entitlements, qualifications, level of responsibility and hours worked are taken account of in an unbiased manner.

If the government switched to a DC scheme for public sector (please make it so...), public sector will still pay PRSI so only potentially the levy and the actual contribution could be 'ringfenced'.

(media usually conveniently omit that public service pensions are coordinated with SW and inclusive of SW and when comparing with private sector usually use a SW inclusive pension (i.e. "50%") for public servants and SW exclusive for private sector workers)
A few points you seem unware of in your posts:
  1. Most DB private sector schemes are also co-ordinated with SW. I was in a very good scheme with a previous employer (financial services) where the benefit was two-thirds LESS OAP - and I think that's quite typical.
  2. The 'miserly' 50% vs chunky 67% isn't a valid comparison because public sector is 50% PLUS a 1.5 times salary lump sum whereas private sector is usually 67% LESS an offset if the retiree elects to take a lump sum (e.g. choice of 67% pension or lump sum and lower pension of maybe 55%) - these are often not that far apart.
  3. You say that public sector make contributions of 6.5% - in the civil service (not sure about wider public service), they pay 6.5% of net pensionable salary which is salary less twice max OAP - so they only make the contribution on that part of their salary that they will actually be funding for. Eg, if OAP is 11K and salary is 30K, contributions will be 6.5% of 8K (30K minus twice 11K) or 1.73% of gross pay. See Q4 in http://www.cspensions.gov.ie/faq2.pdf

Most DB private sector schemes are also co-ordinated with SW. I was in a very good scheme with a previous employer (financial services) where the benefit was two-thirds LESS OAP - and I think that's quite typical.

What level of contributions did you make to receive this? Comparison with the PS rate would be interesting.

What level of contributions did you make to receive this? Comparison with the PS rate would be interesting.
Why would it be interesting? It's actually of no relevance because my employer was very profitable and could do what they wanted with their income.
The total contribution to the scheme was 28% of payroll (I also paid full PRSI and my employer paid full employers' PRSI). As is currently the case with public pensions, the benefit was grossly underappreciated by staff who couldn't see benefit in anything other than hard cash hitting the bank account each month. So, the employer took to including their share of the contribution on monthly payslips - softened somewhat the grumblings about pay...

Why would it be interesting? It's actually of no relevance because my employer was very profitable and could do what they wanted with their income.

Very very relevent to a discussion which is trying to make out that private sector workers pay more for their benefits than public sector ones.

Well, as I appear to be acceptable as representative of the private sector for the purposes of looking at benefits, my current employer makes NO provision towards my pension. Does this mean I am in a worse position than everyone in the public sector?

Very very relevent to a discussion which is trying to make out that private sector workers pay more for their benefits than public sector ones.

I would say that the 6.5% payable prior to the introduction of the levy would be closer to the typical contribution of a private sector employee in a DB scheme.

I'd fully take your point that 14% is a much larger than average contribution.

Someone getting a similar pension to the public service one and paying less than 14% towards it is obviously getting a better deal on the pension. There are perhaps 300,000 such employees in this country.

Question 1

Do these 300,000 such employees enjoy a similar wage to the public sector? Are they similarly qualified? How do their working hours and job security compare?

Question 2

What about the other 1.2 to 1.4 million workers?

This is why we firstly need an objective comparison of the entire remuneration, not one aspect of it.

And secondly, if we are offering DB schemes to our public servants we need to do a cost benefit analysis i.e. if funding costs for a salary rather than CPI linked pension are significantly higher but universally unappreciated why offer such a benefit?

To be more precise:

Pre-1995 typical public sector worker

6.5% of gross
0.9% PRSI, but no SW pension
Pension levy, e.g. 6.5% of gross for somebody on 50k

So that's 13% of gross in total.

Post-1995 typical public sector worker

Complex, but approx. 5% of gross for normal pension
4% PRSI
Pension levy, e.g. 6.5% of gross for somebody on 50k

So that's 15.5% of gross wage as an employee contribution in total.

Note that the 4% PRSI entitles you to non-pension benefits as well.

Back