PTSB Increase Current Account Maintenance Fees for some

You can either write to PTSB or go into a branch. Obviously make sure that all wire transfers in and out have migrated before you close your PTSB account.

Yes and the KBC account can be opened via their app. Going with KBC now.

Will I just have to write to my local Permanent TSB branch and instruct them to close my current account, regular and online saving accounts with them?

Ask KBC to send you a Switching Form. Once sent back they will take care of the move of all direct debit / standing orders from the old current account + also close this. Write to PTSB to close the savings account once you are all set up with KBC.

Last edited:
One issue I’ve found with swapping to N26 is that because the IBAN is German based, then any transfer in can be classed as an international transfer.

My wages goes into UB and I usually standing order my spends to my current account in PTSB but when I tried to set this up with UB they said I’d have to manually do it each payday as I can’t set up a SO for transfers out of Ireland!

Just wondering,

Has anyone submitted a complaint to PTSB over their proposal to start charging fees and if so, how did they get on ?

Don't forget to claim back your stamp duty in respect of any unused cheques, before closing your PTSB Account :)

Just wondering,

Has anyone submitted a complaint to PTSB over their proposal to start charging fees and if so, how did they get on ?
I did, got a 2 page response much along the lines as the letter notifying of fees. Am in the process of switching to KBC, extremely happy with them. Regular saver rates much better than TSB one

I see no requirement from 1st April to lodge €1,500 every month to avoid fees. I'm lucky to be in a position for the next 12 months or so to be able to maintain the minimum cleared balance of €2,500 on my account. Not as though I'm missing out much on interest so will just switch it from a surplus savings account. I would guess many in the same boat as myself will do the same rather than switch.

Same as Daddy Ireland, I am just going to keep the required minimum in the account. It is not worth the hassle of moving the current account, probably to find that the new bank will start introducing fees in the near future anyway. I see that Ulster Bank have just introduced fees, so no doubt that is the start of it.

Just one dip below the €2.5k watermark, and they'll sting you ... it's easier to keep that minimum constantly in your account that you may think folks - be it a direct debit, card stamp duty etc. etc.

Hi Mr Earl,
You mean it's harder not easier. Understood about the sting but if you have the means to keep 5k or 10k in the account then no sweat.. Not ideal for everyone I know but there are a certain cohort of people that won't be too inconvenienced rather than the hassle of switching. I myself will be working closer to the 2.5k mark though as I count myself good with figures.

There's really no big hassle with moving. (I also move gas/electricity supplier every 12 months.)

I've just moved to KBC - a smooth and painless transition.
Plus getting over double the interest on the savings account (2.1% compared to 0.9% with PTSB). I should have switched long time ago - thank you, PTSB, for kicking me up the ar$e....

Why not switch to PTSB Explore rather than switch bank?

Appears a good alternative.

Any stipulation 're monthly lodgments ?

Do withdrawals of cash count towards 10c back on every transaction ?

I guess I would have to get a new cheque book for the account I.e. I assume they wouldn't just transfer over my existing permanent tsb a/c number.

Im thinking of moving to KBC but am being put off by the cashless thing. I get a social welfare benefit paid in cash so what would I do with it?

Back