PSD2, Irish but living overseas ... want a local mobilecontract

Setanta12

I have an Irish mortgage account, savings, credit card and current accounts - I use my Irish mobile number as its easier for business (yes, really!)

But I am moving to local contract as I need new phone - how am I affected by PSD2 and when from, 1 September?

What is PSD2? When you say local, do you mean where you are now or in Ireland?

PSD2 is the new EU Directive effective 1 September concerning mobile phone security inter alia. I'm not in Ireland but still on a Vodafone 087 number, although not tied down to a contract.

And what will this new directive mean? I'm curious as in our household some of us have Irish mobiles (Three, topped up with €20 a month).

Will it matter if the mobile number registered on an account is not from the country of the bank? As far as I know, the number is stored so that additional security measures can be utilised for on-line banking (two factor etc).

The Revised Payments Services Directive (PSD2) is a pretty wide ranging EU directive which will open up the payments and account services industry. It effectively removes the proprietary ownership of customer data from the banks. So it will allow a bank customer to engage services from a third party giving them access to their bank data i.e. being able to make payments which can flow from a bank account rather than a credit card, or have a monitoring or accounting service that taps in directly to your bank information. Banks have to make that available as API's to third parties. Part of it also increases the security requirements on the banks - hence they are all implementing improved apps and on-line portals with additional security

Will it matter if the mobile number registered on an account is not from the country of the bank?

With apologies to all, this is the nub of my concern. And it may be that I am overthinking this, creating problems where none exist.

/- Are Irish credit card and current account debit card providers allowed to offer their services to Irish now living (and resident) overseas? (I was asked to provide proof of postal address recently)
/- Are Irish banks able to text passcodes to non-Irish telephone numbers? I experience difficulties where I give my irish number to continetnal providers.
/- Am I creating problems where none exist? I thought the new PSD2 played a part in all this.

Setanta I have an Irish Ulster bank account. I have a debit card from them. With my foreign address. I'm still not seeing what the actual issue is. Why would a phone company care which account in whatever country is used to pay a bill.

With apologies to all, this is the nub of my concern. And it may be that I am overthinking this, creating problems where none exist.

/- Are Irish credit card and current account debit card providers allowed to offer their services to Irish now living (and resident) overseas? (I was asked to provide proof of postal address recently)
/- Are Irish banks able to text passcodes to non-Irish telephone numbers? I experience difficulties where I give my irish number to continetnal providers.
/- Am I creating problems where none exist? I thought the new PSD2 played a part in all this.

So - proof of address etc is required when opening an account in order for the bank to show they have done due diligence on their customers. Once you move, you're not required to close the account (my son lives abroad but still has his Irish account). What happens if they need to refresh their KYC... or if you change your address on their records... to an overseas address. That leads to.....

Can Irish banks open current accounts for non-Irish based customers? I didn't think there was any legal reason for them not to. They would still need to hold KYC documents but fundamentally I don't think there is an impediment (remember 10 years ago a lot of people were planning to open accounts in Germany?)

So if there is no reason for them not to have an account with an overseas contact, I can't see why having an overseas phone number would be an issue. There may have been reluctance in the past where messaging to overseas numbers would have had a cost impact but that's not relevant now (within the EU). So it could be that the continental providers you mention are just not used to seeing foreign numbers.

PSD2 is silent on this afaik - I think what you might bump into is banks not used to having non-Irish numbers (or even old systems which can't handle country codes???). They only require it for security purposes so it is in their interest that they have the best number for security purposes

Setanta I have an Irish Ulster bank account. I have a debit card from them. With my foreign address. I'm still not seeing what the actual issue is. Why would a phone company care which account in whatever country is used to pay a bill.

The issue isn't with the phone company. It is that banks are now required (or will be under PSD2) to have your mobile phone contact details in order to put in place multi factor authentication for security purposes (such as texting you a code if you want to make a payment). The original question was whether an Irish bank are going to accept a non-Irish mobile phone number

Well I have an N26 and a Revolut account which uses app only to an Irish phone number so I doubt it will be a problem. Getting loans would probably be though.

The issue isn't with the phone company. It is that banks are now required (or will be under PSD2) to have your mobile phone contact details in order to put in place multi factor authentication for security purposes (such as texting you a code if you want to make a payment). The original question was whether an Irish bank are going to accept a non-Irish mobile phone number
Now I get it. I ran into difficulties with Ulster bank in the last week for my online banking. I couldn't find my card machine and couldn't log on without a code. Up to know all I needed was my pin and an 8 digit number. The Central Bank told Ulster that this was not enough security (I spoke to Ulster a few times). So now to log on you either use the card reader, or you get a code to your mobile. I had given Ulster my husband's phone so I had to get him to tell me what it was, which is a pain, but I couldn't change to my phone because you need the card reader to do that. Anyway they've one in the post to me meanwhile but as it happens my OH was in Dublin this week and popped into a branch and got one. The mobile phone Ulster has for us is foreign. Also, eventually, as I was so frustrated, the Ulster helpdesk changed the phone number to mine. Oddly he couldn't order a second card reader for my husband as my husband had to authorise it himself, which is just ridiculous.

So yes a foreign phone will do for an Irish based bank.

Back